Logo

Johnson 150 gt j150stlce No Spark

bdavs12

I have an 89 johnson 150 gt. I have no spark on all six plugs. I have replaced the power pack, stator, and ignition switch. removed the kill switch to check if that was issue. still no spark. What else can I check for? I dont know what else to do

Pull all the plugs and retest, if you have spark the cranking rpm is low due to:bad/weak battery,cables or starter dragging..

Yes the shifter is in neutral. If it was in forward or reverse it would crank at all. the motor has a new starter and i just put in a fully chsrged 800 cranking amp battery

Get a spark tester and a buddy. Check each cly for spark . Even a weak spark will have some sign of engine trying to kick over . If you have spark, Make sure this is not a fuel delivery issue.

I used a spark tester. no spark on all six. no late spark after cranking for awhile. definitely not a fuel issue. put new plugs in as well so i know i dont have bad plugs. the last i used it the motor ran great. loaded up on the trailer drove home and hasnt started since

time to start doing some ignition systems tests:

http://www.outboardignition.com/page40.asp

No fire at all

1. Disconnect the black/yellow kill wires AT THE PACK and retest. If the engines now has fire, the kill circuit has a fault-possibly the keyswitch, harness or shift switch.
  2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier and retest. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.
  3. Check the stator resistance. You should read approximately 1000 ohms from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wires and 100 ohms from the orange to orange/black.
  4. Check the DVA output from the stator. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more from the brown wire to the brown/yellow wire (while connected to the pack) on each bank and at least 12V or more from the orange to orange/black.
  5. Check the timer bases resistance from the white wire to the blue, green and purple wires. Reading should be approximately the same on all (Typically 1 to 2 M ohms). If the readings are off, reverse the meter leads and retest to see if the readings straighten out.
  6. Check the DVA output from the timer base. A reading of at least 0.5V or more from the white wire to the blue, green and purple wires (while connected to the pack) is needed to fire the pack.
  7. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to fire properly.

Last edited:
Back