Logo

75 Mariner bogs down and then pow it takes off like normal

benkeller3

Yesterday my Mariner would not accelerate from an idle when i pushed the throttle forward. It just had no power then al of a sudden it took off running at a normal RPM and power. Everything was fine a week ago. So i messed with some on the lake . and finally figured that if I punched the throttle forward pretty far it would take off with out a lot of bogging. The bogging comes back as you throttle down as well. Idles pretty well. Cuts off some abruptly. but it has idled rough for some time ... Seems to runs fine at 4000+ and above.

Out of the water fond the clamp on the motor side of the squeeze ball was missing so I replaced that. The bottom spark plug wire was not completely pressed in .. fixed that and changed the plugs ...

dropped it in the lake for just a sec... still had the same bogging down

Ideas??

/See if the accelerator pump is working. Rough idle could be dirty carbs. I use a spark gap tester on each wire set to 716" to insure the spark is getting to the plugs, is snapping loud and slightly blue in color...orange spark is weak.

I will show how much I know about this motor. it has been a perfect jewel for 20+ years and here right before both Kids are going to make it into town it decides to act up.... I have always taken it somewhere to be worked on but no one can get to it this week. BOO who!

How would I check the accelerator pump and where is it .

Back