Logo

New Project - 1953 or 1954 Martin "45" 4.5hp outboard

franklenz

Contributing Member
I started a new project today...for me!
1953 Martin "45".
I bought the motor off of an elderly gentlemen (big perch fisherman) for $150.00. He stated that he had owned it since the early 70's. He has not ran the motor since 2011. He stated that he has three small outboards and has always intended to get into trolling, but never got past fishing for perch. He was very nice with a well kept and organized house. He had also showed me some of his "like new" vintage fishing gear. He retired from GM years ago, and I felt very confident that this motor was well kept.

I brought the motor home, sprayed a little mix in it, and one short little pull - it ran super smooth for a few seconds. It sounds awesome!!

I have paint on order, and have worked with replacementdecales.com to make a set of decals. It runs great as is, but I still want to replace all of the ignition parts - along with general maintenance.

Parts are super hard to find so far....I may need some help.

I've already found the condensers, and the points, but I'm having zero luck on the coils. The coils work fine, but upon inspection it was clear that their plastic housings have major cracks in them. Is there a way that I can re-seal them? Liquid tape or something? I would hate to have them start shorting out.

Here is a pic of the motor, and a pic of the decals they put together for me....

image.jpgimage.jpg

Parts should be easy to find for these.----------------Look on ---------------aomci-------------website for information and help !!!

I still can't find the coils, condensers, and points for this motor - except on martinoutboards.com His website looks like it it no longer up and running. Any clue where I can find these items? The aomci website wasn't much help - unless I'm looking in the wrong area.

Really ????--------Did you look under the links ??-----Did you find ----Larson outboard parts ???------------It is all there for you , if you look and don't give up.

Yeah.. that's the site I've been looking at for a while. The website appears to be down - no pics, no online orders,... Is this the way he normally keeps his website? I sent an email requesting the parts I need/want. I'm just waiting for a call or email from him.

Also, picked up a Mercury Mark 5 for $20.00. Rough shape, but doable. I built a motor stand this morning too. I definitely got the bug.
outboard stand.JPG

I cleaned the points, and inspected the coils - they were cracked. I hooked up the spark tester, and couldn't get a 1/4 inch spark. It fell short at about 3/16-1/8. I flushed the tank with some straight gasoline while it was off, and put everything back together. I decided I would give it a try and threw some 16:1 fresh fuel in it, and this was the results....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMM2Lj2j1W8

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uOfqbHjDc

it took a dozen pulls,and likes to run with the choke on - I figure the carb is clogged and having the choke closed was helping to suck fuel through it. It would run with the choke off, but would eventually lean out to a stall - unless I closed the choke for a second.

Tomorrow I will clean the carb. Hopefully the gaskets are reusable.

I also did one cycle of seafoam to clean some of the carbon out. I don't think it's ever been done on this engine. It smoked a ton. I was using midgrade gas with mercury quicksilver two stroke marine oil.

This is motor is definitely smooooth!

Yes those cam operated intake poppit valves allow for quiet operation.----They make for a very slow idling motor too.

I ordered almost every part available for the motor for Larson's - coils, points, condensers, throttle cable, and carb rebuild kit. I also put new paint on the tins. I used rustoleum enamel hammered silver, and gloss black - and I got the decals. The decals are perfect. I went to the local hardware and bought all new stainless steal fasteners for any screw that is visible.

The he paint came out flawless. Now, I have to wait a couple of weeks to put on the clear coat - which always messes up. I might skip the clear all together.

i thought about just polishing the tank, but decided not to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 122
Put the tins back together this morning. I found one thin spot in the paint that I'll have to touch up later. I have to wait a week before I put the new decals on it. It's going to look sharp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 101
I own half a dozen of these Martin motors and am quite familiar with them.----Sometimes forward thinking people buy all the stock when a factory closes up instead of it going to scrap !

Back