Logo

Crusader Heads

Maybe Knot

I've got a pair of 454's in my Carver. The port was replaced couple of years ago while the starboard is factory from 1983. Starboard is using antifreeze and slight steam coming from the exhaust. Runs smooth enough, but with increased temps and steam, it is a given that somehow I have blown a head gasket with 1300 hrs.

With an automobile, I would never have the heads reworked on an engine with this much use. However, on a boat, I just don't know. What say you?

Those motors are famous fore sucking in water through the exhaust ports, so...

Run a compression test.

Jeff

The water causes the exhaust valves to stick (from rust) and that lowers compression (and bends pushrod). A comp test will help identify that.

Jeff

I'd disagree with the water sucking notoriety.....

You can use a pressure tester on the closed side to check for the escape route of the coolant....it could be a simple a as loose clamp....

As far a service life, the compression test (or a leakdown test) can provide insight into the condition of the heads....we used to use a rule of thumb that said 1000 hours was the expected service life of the heads (then check them and recondition if the magnaflux was good)....that said, I've seen them with over 3000 hours still running fine...

Back