Logo

Flywheel movement

Progator135

Regular Contributor
Got my 50 hp back together and took it for a spin everything went together great and ran good. Noticed slight clatter when running so when I got home I looked everything over and noticed a tiny bit of side play in the flywheel. Maybe 1/64" and a little clunk when pushed forward/aft. No up/down movement at all. I had to get another crankshaft for the rebuild. Ordered it used but was in great shape. Installed all new bearings. And put a dollop of lucas oil on all tje bearings during installation. Didn't notice any movement once the halves were bolted together. Used a paper thin film of permatex 518 gel seal so there was no shimming of sealant. I'm a little bummed about it. I don't make very long runs so I hope it will last me at least a few years. What do y'all think of that upper crankshaft play?
Also, my oil ratio was doubled and didn't race the crap out of it. OK...maybe a couple shots real quick just to make sure it would get on plane...couldn't help myself.

Last edited:
Those dowels wouldnt have even let the halves seat together properly if they werent aligned. I occasionally would spin the crank by hand to make sure everything was free throughout the process. if those dowels were off im sure it would have bound up after torquing. I have a small dial caliper I could rig up on there and possibly see how much movement i have (in thousandths). Is there a maximum allowable?

The reason I mentioned that is because I have seen these motors assembled where the dowels were not lined up !!!!!!!--------Since I am not looking over your shoulders I ask those questions !

I completely understand... I think I was just thinking out loud and reassuring myself that it was done right more than anything...haha

So what the general consensus?? I cant think of any reason why there would be play there other than the crank i ordered was worn. I did not measure the bearing surface before installation. it was clean and smooth as could be. And the bearings had no movement when I frist put them in place.

If it truly is 1/64" (.016"), that is more than normal. However, they don't actually spec a clearance, as you would find in plain bearings. Roller bearings can't run tight, but slop isn't normal either.

Well not good news but not the worst either... I guess since I dont make hour long journeys across the atlantic ocean Ill be leaving it and checking it after every run for a while. Man what a bummer. Its just an old fishing boat that stays close to home but I hate that its like that after all that work. Well learn something new every day.

Well I took my dial caliper and measured the distance between the egde of the flywheel and the timing pointer tab. Held a little pressure on the caliper thumbwheel while I pushed back and forth on the flywheel. The needle never moved over .005. Did it several times just to get a good average due to the relative inaccuracy of my procedure. But the results were pretty consistent every time. I think I should be ok. Ive researched a lot on it and Ive come to the conclusion that amount of play should be fine. I was surprised to find how little information there is to be found on this particular matter. Ran it again this past weekend and no change. Maybe Im worrying about it too much...

I would consider .005" to be perfectly normal. As I said earlier, roller bearings cannot run with no clearance or they will destruct.

Back