Logo

Newbie with boat I maybe shouldn't have bought

yousaveone

I'm glad I found you because I'm very confused.
I bought a boat that I've always wanted based on looks. Its a Carrera 24 cuddy. The drive says Hardin Marine. After hours of research I figured out its a Chrysler 300. The drive works well as does the engine but my intent was to convert to a Berkeley jet as I have a couple good ones. Is the hole too big for a jet?

The other thing that confuses me is that the boat has a Chevy 350 in it. Are there adapters for these outdrives? I have a 450 HP 460 I would consider droping in, instead of the jet conversion if the drive could handle it.

I look forward to learning about these simple and seemingly solid drives and appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Josh

If it is in fact a Chrysler 300 drive, they are very rare and replacement parts are practically non existent. They are a good drive with no major issues except lack of support

I'll post a pic, its definitly a 300. I received a manual with it and the look is unmistakable. Are they worth anything if I convert to jet. Or should I run it until it dies?

You will have to wait a long time for it to die, if it is in good condition.
I have over 1,000 hours on mine and it is still going strong.
What part of the world are you in?
You should have no trouble selling it.

The drive works well as does the engine but my intent was to convert to a Berkeley jet as I have a couple good ones. Is the hole too big for a jet?

Ayuh,.... If yer gonna convert to a jet-drive, the size of the transom hole makes little difference, as yer gonna be cuttin', 'n glassin' awhole lot anyways,....

Generally speakin' a hull with an I/O is very different than a hull with a jet-drive,.....

And,..... Marine parts for a Ford 460 just don't exist anymore, except used,.....
'bout the worst choice possible,...

There were 2 models.... HA & HB. HA has a thinner emblem on the side and the HB has a wider sticker.
Inside there are differences in the shift forks too but not that it matters. HB's are relatively more common.
They only made them around 3 yrs unfortunately as it was the end of Chrysler marine inboards.

Jack

Heres pics. It looks like it should have a jet, and most others of this model did. I have 3 sets of 460 marine jet systems. If the chrysler transom hole is smaller then a Berkeley then cutting it out is easy. If the hole is bigger then its not worth it. Or I really need a 460 adapter to the chrysler 300 and ditch the jet idea until the outdrive goes. The boat is in amazingly good shape.boat 002.jpgboat 004.jpgboat 001.jpgboat 003.jpg

Back