Logo

2003 60 hp 4 Stroke Engine Issues

Maclem

I have a 2003 Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke EFI. the engine runs great until you shut it off after it has been under load, once it is shut off and sits for a little while (1/2hr to 3hrs) it will start right way but then dies. I can feather the throttle to keep it running but it acts like it runs out of gas and dies. this will happen for 5 minutes up to 20 minutes like it did yesterday. then it starts and runs great, normal operation is restored.

I took it to the pros, they changed the plugs, took it to the river and didn't find anything wrong. I can drive the boat and leave it running with no issues, once shut off the issue comes back. I have noticed that if i am trolling or under light load I don't have the issue.

any ideas what is wrong?

thank you...

I have the same problem same engine.
I have a 2003 Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke EFI. the engine runs great until you shut it off after it has been under load, once it is shut off and sits for a little while (1/2hr to 3hrs) it will start right way but then dies. I can feather the throttle to keep it running but it acts like it runs out of gas and dies. this will happen for 5 minutes up to 20 minutes like it did yesterday. then it starts and runs great, normal operation is restored.

I took it to the pros, they changed the plugs, took it to the river and didn't find anything wrong. I can drive the boat and leave it running with no issues, once shut off the issue comes back. I have noticed that if i am trolling or under light load I don't have the issue.

any ideas what is wrong?

thank you...

any ideas what is wrong?

thank you...
I'm having the same problem with a 40 hp did you find the problem

Back