Logo

Blocked Oil Tappets on Chrysler 318 Engine

HIGGINS83

Removed the rocker arm with shaft and push rods. Oil gushes out of 3 or 4 of the tappets. The others are blocked.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi, I did this, that is how I know the oil is gushing out. Any other suggestions.
Thank you

Can you provide some more background information?
Right now you have me assuming......
you are working on a LM318,
you've pulled the rocker train off,
you are either cranking the engine with the starter or you have removed the distributor and drive to use a priming rod,
and the oil is blowing out of the lifters.

Yes, working on 318, rocker train off and push rods. Using starter, oil comes out of 3 to 4 tappets, the others are blocked..wanted to know if any suggestions on how to unblock.

The better upfront information given in the original post request usually leads to better and quicker solutions.
Let's try again for background info.
What year 318 are you working on?
What kind of hours has this engine have on it?
What was the oil pressure when running?
Why did you decide to pull the rockers and pushrods? In other words, what were the symptoms of the engine prior to tearing into the engine?

Are these "3-4 tappets" all in the rear of the engine, at the front, all on one bank, or random in the block?
Is the oil coming out of the lifters themselves or from between the lifter and block lifter bores?

Oil pressure will find the point(s) of least resistance. Cranking alone may not provide enough volume especially if the pump and other components are worn.

Back