Logo

50hp Yamaha 4 stroke Possible cracked gear case, gear box issues

Happily headed out to explore the river from the cabin, on step when we suddenly lost forward thrust. Like hitting something with no impact. We had cracked on a rock while going into the beach to unload our gear at the cabin on Friday, but not a huge hit as far as us beach scraping Alaskans are concerned. Slowly putted back to the cabin and packed up (one member of the party had to go back to work and we werent about to make the previously 10 minute trip twice without guarantee of continued good weather or continued forward movement at all) and took the now hour trip back to the boat launch. After ruling out line on the shaft or other possible exterior issues we checked the gear oil. Milky. So assuming we need a new gear box, and gears, maybe powerhead?!?! We are pretty mechanical and figure it out on our own usually but I cant find anything online about DIY for this situation. I usually support the old ask your local parts supplier but the yamaha guys here will just say buy a new lower unit. If it can be fixed I would rather try than toss.

Back