Logo

Stalling when throttled up

Mojo2530

Hi , let me start with some back ground! Bought my first boat a little over 3 weeks ago. It's a 1988 bayliner 19 foot open bow Capri with a 5.7 also had new stereo and speakers installed this year. I was told it only need a new gimble bearing ! The boat interior and exterior was virtually immaculate, and the motor was replaced this season at the beginning of spring because the owner didn't winterized properly last year. . So I took the gamble on it! Since then I've had to pull motor and out drive replace the gimble bearing, replace the engine coupler, replace the stringers in the rear replace the blocks the the motor mounts bolt to replace the transom,. Installed new transom seal, new exhaust gasket,pressure tested lower unit and replaced fluid. Replaced out drive water pump impeller.aligned the out drive to the motor, reinstalled and connected everything and she runs great ! Been in the water three times and never took any water . I do have two minor issues. There's a leak in the trim system and it obviously stops working when it loses enough fluid. But I'm assuming its a seal in one of the rams I plan to investigate and repair that this winter . But also it stalls badly when throttling up if you don't baby the throttle just right to start off once it gets going runs great not issues but like I said on take off you really have to baby it . Any ideas on the stalling during take off ?
Thanks in advance!

Back