Logo

Help! Advice needed on powerhead removal

upwindskipper

Mercury 2002 50HP, 2-cycle, 3 cyl. I believe I have finally found the cause for chronic overheating; it's a crack or breach in the metal water tube that runs up into the powerhead. How simple (or difficult) is it to lift the powerhead and replace that tube? Is it a comfortable DIY? I have done carbs, fuel pump, water pump, etc. so I know which end of a wrench to use but now it appears that I need a power hoist, lower gasket set...? All comments welcome.

You sure do need a hoist--or a couple of good-sized helpers. With all the PH nuts removed (and everything else) you have to shake the PH loose. A few solid, sidewise whacks at the flywheel with a rubber hammer works well, but suspending the entire motor from a hoist (by the pH) and shaking it works the best.

Jeff

Pulling a powerhead is not as big a job as it may sound. Jeff's method is sound.

I pull them (somewhat) regularly on the small motors (25 horse and under) that I more typically work on. I usually find a paint scraper tapped around the edge of the base helps get a "stuck" powerhead to separate from the exhaust base. If you pull the powerhead you will minimally need a base gasket and then depending on how much you take apart from there, perhaps a driveshaft housing gasket and the seal that goes around the exhaust plate.

Before I went the route of pulling the powerhead, and you may well have to do it, I would first try and remove the water tube from the "bottom end".

Remove the lower unit, tilt the motor up as far as you can and take a look up the leg.

The water tube is only fastened to the plate up there by one screw (a clip with a seal fasten the tube to a grommet in the plate).

You "might" be able to get at it with one of those uber-long screwdrivers that places like Harbor Freight sells for a few bucks. If you can get at it that way, while tedious, it may be a whole lot less work than pulling the powerhead.

Worth a look...

And Jeff must be getting soft - I pulled the powerhead on my 140 all by myself without a hoist - with the flywheel removed it couldn't have weighed more than 100 pounds or so ;)

Galamb: Thanks for the encouragement. I had not thought to remove the flywheel but if that turns it into a one-man job, that's what I need. Awaiting delivery of the new tube Will let you know how I do...

Back