Logo

Can't Slow Run Away 85 HP Down

I have done a search and I cannot find any information on this subject. I am still in the process of finishing up swapping the motor on our pontoon. I just changed the ignition switch out and have rebuilt the carbs on our 1975 85 hp Johnson. For some reason the motor wants to run away and I cannot slow it down no matter what I try. I have adjusted the cable every which way to no avail.

I have done many other things to this motor but this is the latest things I have done. The motor ran great last week but I decided to hook up a tachometer and a fuel gauge. Things went down hill from there. I noticed the rectifier wire was frayed badly so I changed that out. I pumped the bulb up to crank engine and gas gushed out of the bottom carb. I rebuilt the carbs, now after changing, the ignition switch, unhooking the tach and fuel gauge I can't slow the motor down. Any suggestions what to try next?

Jim

I just noticed something abut the linkage on the carbs on the motor I took off the boat. I did hook these linkages the same as was on the other motor. Notice where the adjustable linkage is, I saw another motor a while ago and the adjustable linkage is on the front of the carbs, not the back. Which way do these linkages go and could this be my problem with the motor running away?

Attachments

• 85 hp linkage.jpg
    85 hp linkage.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 39
You need to back that cam off of the carb linkage right now you are trying to set the idle speed with the carbs won't work. Evinrudes adjust the idle speed with the timing advance when its idling there should be a gap between the cam and the carb roller

Kim, I looked today and the butterfly valves are both closed. I took the cable lose and still running away.

I got Flyingscott's reply and checked to see if there was a gap between the cam and the roller, there is, or was. After all was said and done, I pulled the carbs back off and rebuilt two other carbs I have that was on another motor. I did notice that in my haste to build the first set of carbs that one of the floats was a little off. I hope by using two completely different rebuilt carbs, it will, hopefully, correct the problem, if not I am have no idea what to do next. Thanks you flyinscott and kimcrwbr1, I appreciate your help more than you know.

We will know tomorrow if it does any better, I don't think the neighbors would like me firing it up tonight. LOL I will let you know how it goes.

Jim

Well it didn't go good, engine still was running away. I did notice that the gas line was against the lower carb butterfly valve stem roll pin so I got the gas line away. I thought just maybe that was it but it wasn't. It may have been part of it because it does run a little slower, but not slow enough to put in gear. Another thing is it is running very erratic, skipping a lot. I was able to run it long enough to try a couple things. I now think it is in the timing and or power pack. I will change out the PP and see if that does any good.

I changed the power pack and one coil and the motor is running nice and smooth like it is supposed to. I also changed the plugs. The rectifier did not have any change connected or disconnected. All I have left to do now is link and sync. That was a tough one but it is almost ready for the river now. Thanks again for the help.

Back