Logo

Fuel pump problem?

F/V Bluesky

I have a 2013 Crusader 350 classic inboard engine. All of a sudden the engine started getting too much fuel at idle. This would cause the idle to go down to 500 from 700. It would run rich and stumble through acceleration back firing. My mechanic said I must have gotten something in the carb and rebuilt carb (with 200hrs on it!). He said that he didnt find much of anything during the carb rebuild. I was told by my engine distributor that some of the low pressure fuel pumps provided by crusader had been putting out too much fuel pressure which would cause my sort of problelm. I sent for a replacement fuel pump. The pump they sent my mechanic said was defective and did not pump. They are now sending another one. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of the over pressure problem with low pressure electric fuel part # RA080018? I shouldnt be having this problem at 200 hrs !

Holley sells a really nice adjustable fuel pressure regulator that you can set to 5 psig and forget.

Jeff

Getting ready to put a pressure gauge before and after the electric pump on a carbed 454XL. What is acceptable pressure and allowable suction ?
Thanks

Crusader specs the suction side as max as 2" Hg and the carb seeing 4-7 psi......I think you can live with 4" Hg @ WOT

Just worry about that positive pressure. If you can get it, the vacuum side is working; if you can't, fix the reason why the pump can't build pressure.

Jeff

Back