Logo

98 5.7 GSI Volvo Penta Questions

Colby1st

Hey folks,

Ive recently purchased a nw to me Four Winns and have several questions. 260 hrs on the meter.

Took it out for the first time this past weekend.

1- when cruising, the oil pressure gauge somewhat follows RPM's. Almost up to the red line at 3000 rpm's.

2- The temp guage does move at startup, but then reads down at the cold end while running.

3-how long does it take before the engine is considered "warmed up"?

4-I am running stainless props, and am nervous about replacement cost if I ding one. Also concewrned about the possible damage that can be done to the rest of the outdrive because of the hardness of the stainless. What type performance changes can I expect if I changed them to aluminum? Assuming everything else is the same?

5- Previous owner told me he has always run 91 octane pump gas, with ethanol. Should I run non ethanol, or would making the switch this late in the engines life be detrimental?

Thanks, Colby

Im no expert but i did almost stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

1. As engine speed increases oil pressure should increase. Give us the actual reading on the gauge at what rpm.
2. If it is staying at 140 degrees that is normal. If it is lower then that you have a bad thermostat most likely.
If you are running in fresh water ONLY and you need to change your thermostat a 170 to 180 is ok to use. this is for carburetor engine. Don't know about a EFI setup.
3 As soon as it will idle and go into gear with out dying your good to go. Generally your good to go after a few minutes.
4. Big debate! that im not going to get into but i will say i have tried both and Aluminum works fine for me.
5. Well generally you don't want to use 91 Octane(American). From what i read you want 93(RON)(European) BUT that Translates to 89(RM+2)Octane American
with no more then 10% Ethanol.

Hey folks,

Ive recently purchased a nw to me Four Winns and have several questions. 260 hrs on the meter.

Took it out for the first time this past weekend.

1- when cruising, the oil pressure gauge somewhat follows RPM's. Almost up to the red line at 3000 rpm's.

2- The temp guage does move at startup, but then reads down at the cold end while running.

3-how long does it take before the engine is considered "warmed up"?

4-I am running stainless props, and am nervous about replacement cost if I ding one. Also concewrned about the possible damage that can be done to the rest of the outdrive because of the hardness of the stainless. What type performance changes can I expect if I changed them to aluminum? Assuming everything else is the same?

5- Previous owner told me he has always run 91 octane pump gas, with ethanol. Should I run non ethanol, or would making the switch this late in the engines life be detrimental?

Thanks, Colby

thanks for the info Pat. Appreciate it.

Colby

Back