Logo

80Hp 4 cyl

AlN

Having an issue with my outboard, when running out of the water with the "earmuffs" on, I can get the engine to throttle up to full RPM. But when in the water the RPMs will not even reach half, I have changed the plugs,gas, gas filter and screen on fuel pump. Nothing has changed the outcome. Any new ideas are welcomed. Thank you

You need to do a WOT plug check. To wit: Run her at full throttle for a few minutes (in gear), then immediately shut here down. NO idling allowed! Next, pull the plugs, keeping track of which went where (ah-hem!) and take a look. I recommend running Autolite 303 plugs for this--you can read them.

Jeff

On the trailer and in gear it is actually still in nuetral.-----the prop does not have to do any work !---------Check compression and spark fo all cylinders.

I "trailer test" all the time (like this morning). It's hard to get full rpms with the boat stationary, but it's still a good test of fuel/ air mixtures and whether all the plugs are firing under load.

Jeff

PS: Just to clarify, the boat is on the trailer, which is backed into the water. It's NOT on muffs!

You need to do a WOT plug check. To wit: Run her at full throttle for a few minutes (in gear), then immediately shut here down. NO idling allowed! Next, pull the plugs, keeping track of which went where (ah-hem!) and take a look. I recommend running Autolite 303 plugs for this--you can read them.

Jeff

Thanks for the input,I've tried that and the plugs all look good not the Autolites but a set of marina recommended ones.

Back