Logo

Merc 2005 Two Stroke 115HP ran w/o oil for 10 minutes - no alarm

rcadille

I was out yesterday with my pontoon boat.

The reservoir became empty. No alarm was heard.

Engine stopped abruptly from 3000 rpm off

I restarted engine and it ran again - not thinking I was out of oil.

It stopped again. I removed cover, noticed reservoir empty, refilled and it ran OK after that.

1) Would like to TEST ALARM and Fix it des anyone know to do this?
2) Should I be concerned abut damage to engine? Scored cylinder walls? Anything else?

Richard Cadille
[email protected]
716-830-5151

Worrying about that alarm is the least of your problems now !! Wow I cant believe its still running ! I would do a compression test and have someone insert a camera into the cylinders to see how much damage is in there. At this point it is a ticking time bomb if you ran it out of oil !

[=yzf125;518680]Worrying about that alarm is the least of your problems now !! Wow I cant believe its still running ! I would do a compression test and have someone insert a camera into the cylinders to see how much damage is in there. At this point it is a ticking time bomb if you ran it out of oil !

Thank you - I'll talk to my local dealer and a friend that re[airs Merc engines.

Sounds Serious..

2005 Merc 2 plus 2 ELPTO 115 HP

Figured out the Alarm issue. The Alarm horn was filled with spiders and not working. Ordered a new horn (located near the ignition key) The low oil and overheating sensors are working fine.

The engine now has a very slight knock at idle and very low rpm's. A marine mechanic stopped over Sunday - thinks one of the risk pins is sticking from slight overheating. Compression tested all 4 cylinders - all >120 psi - great! I hope it isn't a rod or something serious. He Suggested I add more oil to 20 gallons of gas I have in the tank. Say about 2 qts 2 stroke oil. to get it lower than 50:1...down to 30:1 or so. This combined with the auto oil injection on the engine should be good. May smoke a little or fowl a plug.

Anyone else have any good ideas --

Rich Cadille 716-830-5151 or [email protected]

Back