Logo

2003 HPDI 200hp Gets up on plane then bogs down with in 1/2 mile

Lunchman

I am pulling my hair out.I'll start from the beginning,bought this motor in 04 as a left over 600hrs and NEVER had a problem til the economy tanked and so did my business.So I couldn't afford to use her for a little over two years. I treated the fuel during that time, as recommended. Long story short last Fall when I tried to run her in the river she was bogging down. Everything I read and heard said it was the injectors and it also recommended that a mechanic do the injectors. So in the Spring I sent it to a mechanic who said he cleaned five injectors and replace one, he dumped all the fuel (90 gals) and replaced all fuel filters, water separators and O2 sensors. Got the boat back she ran for 4 miles at 4500 RPMs and then cut down to zero. I've since replaced both low pressure fuel pumps and the high pressure pump in the VST tank. Spark plugs were changed, fuel lines replaced. Now, she gets up on plane but only runs 1/2 mile before completely bogging down. She seems to run with no issues at lower RPMs. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as I am running low on money and can't keep chasing my tail around.

As stated earlier, the motor never gave me any problems at all until after she sat for two years without running her.

Hello;
You just about changed everything. You said the engine was sitting for a long time. I may be wrong but I would check or replace your thermostats (two). They could be rusted and one could be closed and getting the engine warm and cutting out a couple cylinders over a set RPMS. I know you changed the filters but I would also check your main filters and see it you got anything in them. Again sitting for a long time you could have dirt collected in the lines . Good luck, flabob

We had a similar issue a few years back and the issue was a dirty earth connection on the block. There are several of them and the mechanic cleaned them all. This was after servicing all the filters, VST, pumps etc as you have done.

Back