Logo

temperature gauge

otodd

I have a 1997 starcraft I/Outboard even after running the boat around the lake my temperature gauge never moves the boat runs great never had a over heating issue just wondering why the needle never moves checked the connections on the gauge itself seems to be good should I keep using it like I have been all summer or should I be concerned

it the needle never moves, I'd suspect the gauge failed a while ago or the sender failed. you can quickly check the wiring and the gauge by grounding the wire at the sending unit (with the key on)....the gauge should go to full scale under those condition. if the gauge is good, that points to the sender.

The sender can be checked with an ohm meter....the resistance goes down when the temperature rises.

Might have a problem while I was taking out the old sensor the right side of the threaded hole cracked and completely broke off is that the thermostat housing that the sensor screws into and is that hard to fix or replace

Don't have a picture but the whole right side of the threaded hole completely broke off it is a 1997mercruiser boat and motor inboard / outboard 3.0 I took it to a repair shop but they haven't looked at it yet I'm hoping it's just a replace the thermostat housing fix cause the thermostat housing is only about 50.00 but that's not how my luck is how can something so simple like putting in a sensor turn into such a mess

Back