Logo

1980 Evinrude 140 Shifter pin/bolt question

JDBOXER02

Can anyone tell me the specs on the shifter pin/bolt for this motor? It's an E140TRLCSA and part # for pin is 327590. The reason I need to know is because mine grew legs and walked off sometime during the last week. I just completed an Overhaul o this engine and I'm finally getting ready to put it back on the boat and break it in (God willing), but can't find the pin. I can order one but It's also very simple for me to make one. I won't be back at my shop for a few days because of work so there's not really any way for me to test fit some other bolts into the threaded section of the Clevis just to see what fits. And I'd need to make the new one at work. So any help on this would be great. Just need to know the thread size, count and the overall length of the bolt. Thanks in advance.

JD

I was able to make a trip to the shop and find out that it is a 1/4 - 20 bolt that is approximately 1 1/4" long. From the head of the bolt down there are about 9 threads then the remainder of the bolt is turned down to be a smooth pin that is tapered at the end. I made a replacement using a Grade 8 bolt and a few minutes after installing it I actually found the original one hiding behind some tools and shop rags. I posted this information because it is nowhere else on the web, that I could find, and even the service dept. at MarineEngine.com was unable to help me. Maybe this info will find it's way to someone else who needs it some day.

JD

Back