Logo

marine power 5.7 dual Holly Carbs. Fuel Pump Location?

Docsail144

Where is the fuel pump on these engines? Also the manual shows fuel filters internal to the carbs as small screens but I can't find them on the carbs. Where are they? Thanks.

assuming an inline gear installation and an older unit, look at the RH forward motor mount, on the side of the block.

Get the number off the carb and use Holley's www site and get their parts breakdown....

That's exactly where is was. Thanks. I'll get the number and check it out. I'm trouble shooting a problem. The engine would start, idle and run ok but not over 1300 rpm under load. In the past changing fuel/water filter would cure it. This time no dice. I checked the tank for water. It was negative. There was no water in the filter either. Now the engine won't start. I used Starting Fluid; it will catch for 2 seconds and then quit. I suspect the fuel pump is the problem.

I'd agree...shut off valve not open?

either way, you need plenty of fresh fuel in the bowl or it won't run....so the question is why ....

Anybody know the equivalent model number for a Carter electric Fuel Pump 152-875? This model isn't available any longer. By the way my boat, a 1989 Carver Voyager 28, was not built with fuel tank shut off valves It's on my to do list.

I'm sure an internet search will give you some suggestions...whatever you get, make sure it is marine rated.

The hard part was getting the old one off. I had to special order the new pump as the old Carter pump is no longer available.

Ayuh,.... When ya go to put the new one on,....

There should be a short 3/8" bolt in the front face of the block, in-line with the fuel pump push-rod,....
Take out the short bolt, 'n screw in a longer one,....
Holdin' the push-rod Up, lightly screw the bolt in to hold the push-rod Up, 'n outa yer way,....

Of course, remove the long bolt, 'n put the short one back, before startin' the motor,...

A 5.7 motor has no need for dual carbs, so this must be something an adventurous previous owner may have done. A 600 cfm carb is actually oversized for a marine 427 that maxes out at 4000 rpm. Fuel starvation can happen at the carb itself, filters, fuel pump may be the issue, but many times it is the inlet tube in the fuel tank itself getting clogged due to debris. Some boats have a anti-siphon device that can be trouble. You might consider gently blowing air into your fuel line and listen to see if you hear any bubbling. Ethanol fuel causes old debris prior to the use of ethanol to dislodge and this creates lots of debris in older boats, that can clog the inlet tube, filters, etc.

Back