Logo

Can't' Get Oil To Pump Past Filter

HIGGINS83

Got oil to pump to filter, but not up into lifters and valves on my Chrysler 318 engine. All was well at end of season, now
have this problem.. Any help or suggestions?
Thanks

Just trying to get as much info as possible.
How long has it been since running?
Are you saying on layup the engine had oil pressure and you are just now starting up?
What was the oil pressure prior to layup?
Did you do anything with regards to the oiling system prior to startup?
How long have you run the engine without oil pressure?

I was sick so not out to boat, last running was 3 months ago. It had oil pressure, but was a little low, didn't run for long..other engine is fine. Can't remember what the pressure was, but a little low. I did nothing with the oiling system prior to startup. Engine was started and ran a minute or two and turned off when no pressure.
Thanks for your reply

How do you know this? Could the sender unit/ gage be at fault? I suggest plugging in a temporary mechanical gage where the oil pump switch is and see what's happening. You can buy a kit for under 20 bucks at an auto store.

Jeff

Two minutes of 600 rpm rotating crankshaft on dry bearings can make things a mess. Jeff advised a mechanical gauge to verify pressure. Do this I wouldn't let it run with zero pressure over 30-40 seconds. Better to try to prime the engine with a drill and primer rod if possible.

Back