Logo

can i change the AS1 71C to work for either standard or counter rotation?

FJT2448

I have a 72 Bertram 28' twin inboards. I was told they are 351 Windsor Fords. But the plate I found says 302(is there an easy way to confirm which it is ). My real question is how simple is it to reverse the oil pump? I want to put a standard rotating motor in where the counter rotating was? I've heard this is all I need to do to make reverse become forward and vice versa? Is that correct?

to reverse the pump, you just remove the four bolts and rotate the pump body so the "input rotation arrow" points the same way the flywheel rotates.

You don't want to get "Forward rotation" with the gear selector in the Reverse position....

you might wanna check with your local gear shop to see if this is viable....I suspect the output will spin backwards but not sure. If you don't have a shop local, call Hale Marine - they specialize in velvet drives and have been around for decades....

On the 302 vs 351, not being a ford guys I cant say definitively but I'd suspect you can check the casting numbers on the block to verify what it is....any good machine shop (or an internet search) will tell you where to look....If they started life as marine engines, there should be a serial number ....

Curiosity got the best of me...so I went and looked it up....

It won't work as you want it to. If you switch the rotation of one of the engines, and reverse the VD pump housing, the propeller's rotation will be reversed (in other words, the gear rotates the same as the engine while in forward).

I think it would be most economical to have the engine rebuilt to the original rotation or, if you already have it, get it reworked to spin 'backwards'....just my two cents

I have a 72 Bertram 28' twin inboards. I was told they are 351 Windsor Fords. But the plate I found says 302(is there an easy way to confirm which it is ). My real question is how simple is it to reverse the oil pump? I want to put a standard rotating motor in where the counter rotating was? I've heard this is all I need to do to make reverse become forward and vice versa? Is that correct?
Ok, what I was told is it's not ideal because the trans will be using an extra gear constantly, but it will work. With the many rebuild kits out there, can the trans be switched? So it will be in forward with the standard rotating motor? Or do I need a different trans altogethe? The only new ones I saw were 1:1 not the 1.5:1.

Ok, what I was told is it's not ideal because the trans will be using an extra gear constantly, but it will work. With the many rebuild kits out there, can the trans be switched? So it will be in forward with the standard rotating motor? Or do I need a different trans altogethe? The only new ones I saw were 1:1 not the 1.5:1.

Not sure where the extra gear enters this.....

You'll need a different gear altogether if you want to use the LH engine where the RH was...a 'full power in reverse' type....like a VD5000 or a ZF

Back