Logo

96 50 horse merc froze, Help Please.

splitter gitter

Hey everyone,first timer. I have a 1996 50 HP ser# OG315358 ELPT 4 stroke and i just replaced the fuel pump,the old one had filled the valve cover up to the oil fill plug with fuel and diluted the oil. Changed oil and oil filter . Tried to start, turned over a couple times, popped then stopped. Tried again and the motor would not turn over. Thought the batteries might be dead or low ,so I threw the charger on them for a while and tried again still nothing. Smelt fuel and thought it was flooded so took out the plugs and sure enough one cylinder was full of fuel. Cranked the motor over and it spun free and blew out the cylinders. Put the plugs back in and tried starting it again, turned over a couple of times then froze again.repeated the process, would not spin. I put a wrench on the flywheel nut and tried to spin it that way, it did but not easy. As i turned the crank it got harder and harder until it would not :mad:.In the process i broke the timming belt and found that the crank turns free but the cam gear is froze. Did the fuel take all the oil from the cam bearings and I froze it up that way or is there something else. Have not taken it apart yet to look in side. Any body else had this happen to them. HELP HELP.:confused:

Last edited:
I put a wrench on the flywheel nut and tried to spin it that way, it did but not easy. As i turned the crank it got harder and harder until it would not :mad:.In the process i broke the timming belt and found that the crank turns free but the cam gear is froze.
WHY??? Engine was hydro locked with fuel when you did that and could not move. Internal damage now.

Thanks for the reply,thats what i had thought but When I repeated the process the second time I had taken the sparkplugs out before I tried turning the flywheel/crankshaft and that's when the belt broke and I found that the camshaft geared pully was froze, not the crank, it turns free. I took the valve cover off and didn't see anything obvious, I checked the valves to see if one was stuck, none where they all moved. So thinking that the cam is froze in the cam journal , and that is machined into the head,and that is where my problem may be.Just thinking out loud. Looked up parts and they only offer the whole head assembly, cam, oil pump. Just over $2100 . I'm capable of doing the work, so no labor charge,however is this motor worth it?I don't know.What do you all think. Thanks

The engine is a 1996! I would take the $2100 and look for a good used 2 stroke or put it towards a newer 4 stroke. Sell the old one for parts.

Now you're thinking. There have been many upgrades in 4 stroke OB's for better performance. Good luck.

Hey guys, i found a 2003 Honda 75 Hp 4 stroke with just under 150 hrs on it for $4000 and includes the controls. One owner, no hour meter,but says can be hooked up to a computer to read the hour's. Does this motor have a computer on it. I know its not fuel injection. Thought they did fuel injection and computers about 2005 or 2006. What do you think. Good deal or stay away. Any views would be much appreciated. Thanks

Back