Logo

New Project - 1954 Hiawatha 3 model 450mi-25-7959a aka Gale model 3D11

franklenz

Contributing Member
A friend that I work with asked me if I would get this motor up and running - as far as he knows, there is nothing wrong with it, but he merely obtained from his grandfather years ago. It looks pretty good cosmetically, but I won't start digging into to it until next week.

Any advice?
IMG_3887.JPGIMG_3884 small.jpgIMG_3885 small.jpgIMG_3886 small.jpg

So far, everything mechanical appears to be fine. The starter rope recoil spring is broken and needs to be replaced. I found them online for $24, but I'm going to check the local lawnmower shop first.

Also, so far no spark. I may not be spinning the flywheel fast enough to generate one.

Does anyone have instructions on checking the electrical on these motors? Resistance etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 121
Thanks for the advice.

Gap tester - I just grounded the spark plug and gave the motor a slow pull while in my semi-dark garage. I didn't see any sort of spark. I also turned it by hand a few times.

**I will pull the flywheel tomorrow and clean/inspect the points. I will post photos when I do this.

Spring - I ordered one today for $24.00. The local lawn mower shop was really interested and dug deep to find one that would work. I was going to post the mower spring part number that would fit if they found one. No such luck, but they've been helpful on other parts for my other motors.

Compression - I sprays some 2-cycle oil into the chamber before attempting to rotate the flywheel. Then, I worked it in with the plug out to make sure there no resistance or scratching. It spun smooth. I put the plug back in, and spun it by hand. When the piston was nearing tdc, I could barely spin it with one hand - had to use two hands to get it over the hump/tdc. I didn't hook my gauge up to it yet because I assumed that the above is a sure sign of solid compression. I will hook it up tonight and let you know (I work till 7pm).

Carb - According to my friend, the motor ran consistently for his father as recent as three years ago. I plan running some seafoam through the carb, then putting some fuel in the tank and doing a small vacuum test on the main jet to see if fuel passes freely. If it does, I may not pull it off and rebuild. I'm still up in the air on that one - if there are any issues, I will do it without hesitation. Thanks for the tip on the cork float - I've never dealt with a cork one before. I will research carb kits for this motor today, or do I need to make my own gaskets?

Fuel Mix - The manuals say 26:1, and you posted 16:1. Was that a typo?

Thanks for your help. I will keep posting my progress.

So, I've been working too many hours, but this is what I got.

I pulled the flywheel off, and inspected everything. The point(s) looked good, and the condenser looked clean. I bought a new one to replace them as long as I had the fly wheel off. The Coil was falling apart, and I ordered one of those too. Here are some pics....

Attachments

• IMG_3914 small.jpg
    IMG_3914 small.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3910 small.jpg
    IMG_3910 small.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3903 small.jpg
    IMG_3903 small.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 144
This morning, I put new gear oil in the gear case. I'm not sure as to which hole was the fill hole, but I assume that it is on the starboard side of the motor (bigger of the two screws). It was pretty dry in there with about 1/3 of the oil it would need. There was a couple dozen real small pieces of metal in there, but nothing too serious that would indicate a blown gear(s). See pic below.... Also, don't mind the color of the oil (it had no water in it and was fairly clean), I had already dumped a cup of pine sol in the pale to break down the oil and keep the pale clean.

My friend told me that he has had the engine for 15 years without ever attempting to start, or work on it. I thought it was a lot more recent than that, but oh well - it should run like a champ when I'm done.

Attachments

• IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 116
and one more thing.... I haven't had time to hook up my compression tester to see the actual compression rate. I will do that once I get the parts. I don't really want to jimmy the flywheel on and spin it without it being bolted down.

The washers were good on the drain and vent plugs, and it's a gale 3d11 motor. I was certain to look up what screws to remove to fill it, I just wasn't sure which hole to fill it from - they are both about the same height. Unlike my other motors that you fill from the bottom up. Thanks for the advice on the coil.

I'm just waiting on the parts to come in....

I might pull the carb on my next day off, pull the jets and misc parts, and soak them. I have had REALLY good success by soaking them in Pine Sol for a day or two, rinsing them off, blow them out with compressed air, then reassembling them. The Pine Sol does not hurt any rubber or plastic pieces, and they come out spotless.

I did a compression check last night. Results 35-40 psi. What should the psi be on this motor? I hit 150psi on my mercury 650.

Here is a slow mo video of the gauge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpppmLL6HHY

Sounds like a plan. Is there a website or eBay link that sells the head gasket, or will I have to make my own? I will start searching today, but if you know of one, it would make my day!
Also, I assume with a good fuel mix that it will boost the psi up 5-10 more - hopefully this will be enough to keep it running decent. If not, I'm pulling the head off.

Thanks for your attentiveness to my thread. Your suggestions, and affirmations of my thinking (sometimes) is VERY helpful. Have a great day!

And...yes the motor was cold. I'm waiting on the ignition parts to come in the mail.

I love to tinker, and can see how rebuilding these old motors can be addictive. Too bad it's my buddies motor and not mine. You tend to get to liking each motor you work on.

I pulled the float out of the carb. I placed it by a shop light for 24hrs to dry it out really good. I dunked it in the pictures airplane dope, baked it under the lamp, and repeated. It floats perfect - no more overflow of fuel. Also, does it appear to be flowing enough water? See the prior videos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 131
My buddy put the motor on his boat, and I was waiting for video...., but instead, I got this sent to me.

Please help me find him a new tiller handle support bracket...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 133
Me too! I told him to smash one end of electrical conduit, drill a couple of holes, and steal his kids handlebar grip. Good to go!....for now.

I started a new project today...for me!
1953 Martin "45".
I have paint on order, and have worked with replacementdecales.com to make a set of decals. It runs great as is, but I still want to replace all of the ignition parts - along with general maintenance.
I will start a new thread. Parts are super hard to find so far....I may need some help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 114
Back