Logo

25 hp 1983 Evinrude misses under load at high rpms

D

Drew Logan

I have an '83 25 HP Evinr

I have an '83 25 HP Evinrude with a similar problem (30 hp Evinrude bogging down problem by Mike Moynihan) It will go up to a moderate speed (just planing a 13' whaler with one person in it) but when I try to give it anymore it sputters and misses. It will rev up fine in neutral. I did notice that as I push the throttle up the magneto/armature plate stops well short of reaching the rubber stop. Is this throwing the timing off?
Drew

i have an evinrude motor. 150

i have an evinrude motor. 15012-45075 what year and horse power is it? thank you in advance.

"Paulcra,

That should be a

"Paulcra,

That should be a 15HP from 1953-54.

You can see the pre-1980 list of Evinrude model numbers here.

Regards,
Andrew
"

"Drew..... If you're tryin

"Drew..... If you're trying to advance that throttle/timer base to the full spark advance when in neutral, you can't do that. The engine has a built in safety to keep the timer base from advancing too far in neutral. If that safety wasn't there, it would be possible to hit full throttle, then have the engine run away, obtaining unbelievable rpms in a matter of seconds. This would result in having connecting rods fly through the side of the block with the force of a grenade!

If, on the other hand, you're saying that while in the water, in gear, the timer base is not obtaining full spark advance (up against the rubber cap), the engine would be running with retarded spark.... and you would want to find what is causing it to stick.

Be sure to check the compression and spark, and also the spark plugs themselves (what kind are they, what is their appearance, and what is the gap setting?). Let us know what you find

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back