Logo

Honda outboards

Dirtbikerrj

I was told that certain year Honda's didn't fair very well with a life in the salt water? I was curious if this was true if so what years I should stay away from?

Mine has spent the last 12 years in salt water. I flush after each use which helps.
I will say that I'm getting a fair bit of surface corrosion showing on the motor.
routine maintenance is the key to keep them running well.
(BF50A)

Looking at just general corrosion, saltwater is hard on all outboards and stern drives. IMO Honda's are no better or worse than any of the others. Generally, the Honda's tend to be more reliable if maintained rigorously. Every time I pull maintenance on my engine - every 100 hours - I lightly spray the motor with 656. It seems to help keep the corrosion of bolt heads and other exposed steel pieces at bay.

Go pretty much ANYWHERE on the coast of almost EVERY country in the WORLD and you will see more HONDA outboards than any other brand. Alaska to the Caribbean.......Chile to Spain....The Honda is PREFERRED by researchers...coast guards....navies and avid fishermen all over the globe.

While there will always be naysayers against ANY brand, the NUMBERS speak for Honda better than anything else.
As has already been said....Maintenance is the key to a long life on the ocean.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Good afternoon, I have a 07 Honda 225 and am having problems with the motor power surging and when idling or at extreme low speed. I have replaced the O2 censor, high and low pressure filters and O rings, bulb and water separator using all Honda parts. The problem continues....any suggestions?? The motor has 176 hours....I purchased last September from the original owner who seemed to maintain it well. Thank you for any suggestions.

Yes, the alarm will go off if I let it idle for a extended amount of time (short burst alarm and the service engine light comes on) but I have no way to pull codes.
I will research the IAC and clean it. Thanks

Valve clearance also extremely critical and a common cause of "lumpy" idle and will typically set of the O2 sensor after extended idle.

Drwilliams. If you want the procedure for pulling codes, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and I will send you the write-up. It's very simple to do with a paperclip or you can buy the Honda shunt, PN 070PZ-ZY30100, from almost any Honda dealer (cars, bikes, generators, etc.)

Valve clearance also extremely critical and a common cause of "lumpy" idle and will typically set of the O2 sensor after extended idle.
Really? didn't know that!
I have to say that I've not had the valves adjusted in my 3 years of ownership and I suspect that the PO didn't have them done either. I'll have a think about whether to tackle this myself or whether to get the dealer to do it this autumn.

Back