Logo

Weird ome

missnancy

Regular Contributor
Ok Guy's I have a weird one for you. I have a 270 in Miss Nancy and she purrs like a kitten. Runs great until I get to the higher RPM's aka 3800 to 4000. At this point the oil pressure drops very low. If I slow down it comes right back to it's normal 40+ lbs. The engine has 40 hours on it. Any ideas?

1. Low oil level in the pan, or WAY too much oil in the motor (causing frothing).

2. Clogged oil pump inlet strainer.

3. Clogged oil cooler (if you have one).

Jeff

Check oil level as jeff stated, I''ve had similar when it got down to the "too low" level the system had all the usable oil slung on the motor, leaving too little in the sump, which starved the pump and dropped the pressure.

second thing to check is the actual oil pressure, you could swap a manual gauge to see if its electrical?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3846K411

I am going out to the boat today and will recheck the oil. I am not sure on what type of pump it has and will check my paper work. the manual gauge looks like a good idea and I may get one and try checking it that way. I am also going to replace the sending unit, a friend of mine told me that he had the same issue with his truck and for the price of a sending unit it's worth a try. Thanks every one, I'll let you know how it goes.

make sure you get the correct version...I suspect a single station is correct but I'll defer to you on that..

I changed the sending unit and just at an idle the oil pressure is reading higher so hopefully when I take her out next time the problem will be solved.

Back