Logo

Nissan 9.8 4 stroke will not start

Jeter1982

I have a 9.8 4 stroke Nissan and have had it for 7 years. I have always had issues with this motor but have dealt with them. This particular motor has been lying in my garage for 1.5 years because my boat was not running. I recently repaired my boat and took it out fishing for the first time in a long time. I mounted the Nissan and drained any old gas that may have been in it. I got it started and we trolled for 4 hours and it ran great. The next morning we went out again and when I tried to start the motor it started, coughed and quit. I was unable to get it started again. I checked for spark and even put two new plugs in it. It does have spark. I tracked fuel and the fuel pump seemed to do its thing. The bowl on the carb was full. I then disassembled the carb and inspected it for sticking float but all looked good. Still nothing so I took it back to the house and did a more extensive cleaning of the carb but still nothing.

Please help!

Assuming your model is NSF9.8A3 right? I have the identical motor, and have turned wrenches on many dozens of them. Mine is a Remote.
What issues have you always had?
There shouldn't have been ANY fuel left in any of the system for 1-1/2 years. What gas did you drain?
What technique did you use to clean the carb?
What do the plugs look like? Wet= flooded or no spark... dry=no gas.
What service was done to prep the motor after being mothballs for over a year?

Assuming your model is NSF9.8A3 right? I have the identical motor, and have turned wrenches on many dozens of them. Mine is a Remote.
What issues have you always had?
There shouldn't have been ANY fuel left in any of the system for 1-1/2 years. What gas did you drain?
What technique did you use to clean the carb?
What do the plugs look like? Wet= flooded or no spark... dry=no gas.
What service was done to prep the motor after being mothballs for over a year?

I bought a brand new Nissan 9.8 the last year they used the Nissan name. 2016 I believe? Correct me if I’m wrong lol. I absolutely love this motor, never had any issue whatsoever. Maintained but not as well as it should, however I use mine year round with exception of possibly 2-3 months tops, rarely ever entire 60 day period. Seems like a solid little motor, always chugs along strong and the pisser is always streaming hard. Glad I saw a consistent member like you on here who is knowledgeable so I know who to ask if I ever have problems!

Back