Logo

PCM 5.7 L cut out

kweinstein

A mechanic just re-set the timing on my 1998 Sea Maxx 300HP 5.7 liter TBI (not with a laptop, but either with timing light or by feel) as I have had this happen before. Engine runs fine in the slip. I take it out on the river and after 10 minutes running at below 1/2 throttle it just stops (no sputter). Cannot restart. Starter turns but will not restart.

Any ideas on where to start looking? Mechanic says fuel pressure tested fine.

Thanks,

Ken

If a mechanic reset your timing by feel, s/he is super human...............

How an injected engine idles will tell you very little how it will perform under load.

You (your mechanic) need to determine if the issue is lack of fuel or lack of spark when the engine quits....and if the mechanic only checked the fuel pressure at idle, I'd suggest it is time for a new mechanic. It is most likely an intermittent and could be a simple as needing to replace a relay or a pressure switch. The best way is to determine what is going wrong vs just throwing a bunch of parts at the issue.

I did get a new mechanic and we took apart the FCC, which was clogged. New filter, new drain plug kit and motor runs good. I will be adding a Sierra fuel-water separator upstream of the FCC at the end of this season.

Ken

Does the Sierra Fuel Water Separator go downstream of the 2-tank selector valve or upstream? Upstream there is more room. Downstream will be very tight but I think the right place to put it. There are two inputs and two outputs but by putting it upstream of the valve, I would be mixing the two tanks, correct?

Thanks,

Ken

two tanks -> selector valve -> filter -> single engine sounds like the only choice is the endpoints are accurate. If you are referring to the filter head ports, there's usually one of each, on either 'side' to tailor the installation to your existing plumbing.....

Sierra says this: Sierra gasoline fuel filter kits are designed to remove particulate matter and water from marine gasoline fuel systems. 21 micron filters are appropriate for most carburated style marine engines. For high performance fuel injected engines, finer 10 micron filters are more commonly recommended.
Mine is EFI fuel injection, a 1998 PCM Sea Maxx. Sounds like I need 10 micron, right?

Last edited:
Back