Logo

tamd41p started on its own

jansen

Contributing Member
I have a Seabird 29 sport fisher with twin Volvo Penta TAMD41P-a engines. One night this week when it was on the hard in a marina here in Mobile, AL,
a live aboard sailor heard the port engine running in the middle of the night. He told another guy that knew what to do and he stopped it by opening the
fuel filter top and letting air in. He told us the same boat was found running for 2 hours unattended when it was in the water. Ever happen to anyone else?

The starboard engine has a similar problem. The PO replaced the starter not too many hours ago. It would not start when we bought it and we found a bad battery shut off switch, melted, and the starter solenoid bad and cooked. We put in a new solenoid and battery switch and when we turned on the switch the engine started up and the starter stayed engaged. Checked the voltage from the switch wire to the solenoid and it had 12 volts constant with the switches off. mystery.

My son checked all the wiring and after unplugging and plugging all the connections the voltage went away and it started as it is supposed to start. But I am afraid voltage will mysteriously go to the starter and burn it out when underway. Probable what happened to the PO. Those starters are not cheap. With a problem on both engines it seems there may be others having this problem. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for replying. I did see another post in 2008 that had the exact problem we are having, but it didn't have what corrected it. We now think it may be the starter relays as it seems to turn the starter even when the harness to the starter switches is disconnected. We have found new relays for about $70 each but hate to just swap parts not knowing the real problem. There doesn't appear to be any house wiring spliced in.

Starter relay is 12 volt 40 amp relay. OEM is about $90 each and we need two. Anyone use an off the shelf relay successfully?

Just talked to my EE son and he said we still had voltage to the solenoid when the starter relay was unplugged. Mystery voltage. Hate to replace relays that are good. He thought it might be the "Y" connector cable that joins the flybridge and the lower helm starter switches and the guages. I wonder if you can buy that cable from VP?

Distributing Contact
Your Price: $258.10
Part # 1140598

Found that Y cable. We may take ours apart and check for shorts.

I pulled the relay (it does not say Volvo Penta on it) on the starboard engine and it has a mystery black liquid all over the inside and oozing out. The spring and contacts seem ok. My son bought some 60-80 amp relays for much less than the VP ones ($92 list, $62 best price I found). The one I pulled out has brass prongs on the hi amp side, the new ones had steel terminals and an extra terminal to change from normally open to normally closed. I will put the one I pulled out back in till I get one I am satisfied would be dependable.

Update, the Port engine started on it's own again. Disconnected Y connector and it did not restart. Reinstalled y cable and now ok,, maybe bad connection or connector. Starboard Y was previously replaced and has not started on it's own since. Still bit of mystery

We have replaced an ignition switch and both starter relays and one Y previously mentioned and have been doing ok for a while now. Maybe we got the problems corrected.

Back