Logo

1999 15hp 4 stroke Electric Start Inquiries

gadawg31

Hello everyone,

I have done a lot of research on my current outboard, which is a 15hp 4 stroke (model:F15MSHX). I have found quite a bit of parts, butI am not sure what all I “really” need. Does anyone have any experience with this? I basically want to be able to use a pushbutton to crank, so my son can operate without having to pull the rope. I am not running a full blown stick steer,electrical box setup, I only want to be able to crank with a button and thisbutton can be on the motor. Any and allsuggestions/recommendations/ideas, ect… are greatly appreciated. Thanks. JD

I am in the same "boat" with a 2005 motor and want electric start. I found what seems like a starter for it and it seems I could just bolt it on and wire it up, but not sure.

I am in the same "boat" with a 2005 motor and want electric start. I found what seems like a starter for it and it seems I could just bolt it on and wire it up, but not sure.

Presumably you have an F15MSHD.

Open the Yamaha parts catalog for the F15MSHD. Open the parts catalog for the F15ESHD. Compare the parts used on your model with the F15ESHD electric start model.

Remove the parts that are used on the F15MSHD that are not used n the F15ESHD and install the parts that are used on the F15ESHD that are not used on the F15MSHD.

It is more than just the starter motor.

From what I can tell a starter and some sort of relay. I am not sure of the flywheel and see a problem if you accidently try to start the motor while in gear I see breakage unless you can disable the start relay in when in gear. not sure how they do than. Also I am not interested in auto choke.

From what I can tell a starter and some sort of relay. I am not sure of the flywheel and see a problem if you accidently try to start the motor while in gear I see breakage unless you can disable the start relay in when in gear. not sure how they do than. Also I am not interested in auto choke.
Look at the part number of the F15M flywheel and the part number of the F15E flywheel. If the same part number then no need to change it. If the part numbers are different then the F15M flywheel comes off and the F15 E flywheel goes on.

Both models show the presence of a choke knob. Both models indicate they use the same carburetor. Why bring up the issue of an auto choke?

The F15E model indicates the use of a starter button, a starter relay, a start in gear switch, battery cables, etc.

There is no need to guess. The parts catalogs will tell precisely what is needed to convert an F15M to an F15E configuration.

Might seem easy to see all the differences if you are more familiar with the motors. I just picked up the motor. Thanks for pointing out the neutral safety switch. that is important part of the project. I brought up the auto choke because I see the manual shows a remote throttle and start assemble and uses a auto choke to start from the driver's seat.

Print the parts book pages that apply to the modification. The starter motor page. The electrical page. Go to the motor and compare what is seen on the parts page to the motor itself. It will help you become more familiar with the motor.

The F15MSHD uses no auto-choke at all. It has to be choked manually by pulling the choke knob. A control box may have a press to choke toggle switch or the key switch may have this functionality but it will not be connected to the motor. Therefore, it does nothing.

Now there are 2005 F15 models that do have a choke solenoid. But it has to be manually activated. It is not automatic. But since we still don't know what model motor you have at this point we are still kinda shooting in the dark.

Back