Logo

Mercury 110 will only start with high throttle

Delta1

Hello,
I have a 110, 9.8 HP. I can only get it to start with it in gear and the throttle up high. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be. I do not know much about the thunderbolt ignition. Fuel system is good. New plugs and redid the points. So all that is good. It will not even fire in the start position but as soon as I throttle up(in gear) it starts right up. I do not understand this.

Hah! That's why I always remove the idle stop on those and toss it out. No more problems.

Jeff

PS: It's hiding down there at the back/ bottom of the carb. A 5/16 or 3/8 bolt (as I recall).

Hah! That's why I always remove the idle stop on those and toss it out. No more problems.

Jeff

PS: It's hiding down there at the back/ bottom of the carb. A 5/16 or 3/8 bolt (as I recall).

this is worthless information. what does the idle stop have to do with the ignition?

Nothing.

The way those motors were set up, they don't idle anywhere near high enough for effortless cold starting (and you can't start some of them in gear--they have this Mickey Mouse preventer--another thing I throw away).

I've found after restoring several dozen of these motors is that a LITTLE bit more throttle makes for much easier starting. And if the plugs are fouled, this is even more important.

Jeff

Back