Logo

Circuit Breaker Tripping

DKMP

My V2 50 kicks out the 50 amp circuit breaker. MK customer service said wiring between battery and trolling motor plug is bad. I can't find any nicks cuts broken wire any where. Any ideas?

how often does it trip?does it trip only when motor is running?or trying to run...how many times has the breaker been reset?...how long sincee the first time it tripped?is it an ongoing problem that has gotten worse?

I keep the trolling motor plugged in. But remove the foot control module when finished fishing. Yesterday I launched the boat an hooked up the foot controler. I always then hit the thrust pad to confirm I have power to the trolling motor. At times, I don't and have to tighten the battery connections. I didn't have power and checked the battery connections they were tight. I then noticed the breaker had tripped. I reset it and it immediately tripped which it did several more times. I then unplugged the foot controller. It still keep tripping. I then unplugged the power cord and reset the breaker. The breaker tripped immediately when the plug make contact with the receptacle. I went home an ran a jumper wire from the breaker to the plug receptacle. It sparked and fried the breaker.

disconnect the feed to the motor from the battery...i would then plug everything in as normal...then disconnect the hot lead from the breaker feeding the trolling motor...set your multi meter on the rx1 scale....take a reading from the disconnected feed to the motor to the ground feed to it..if you are blowing a 50 amp breaker i think you will read a short or close to it...then start disconnecting components til the short disappears...

one note...a breaker is not a switch...every time it trips with an overload it weakens...eventually to the point where normal current within range will trip it..so dont use the breaker tripping as a isolation tool...find the problem with a meter..

Thanks, I got a mult-meter and checked entire circuit. Everything checked ok. I have a new breaker on order. I'll see what happens after I put it in. I also have a fish finder and battery charger hooked to the same battery as the trolling motor. They are ok.

Back