Logo

fixed systems and fuel eco is falling

westirmax

Contributing Member
Ok-

oil leak- fixed- oil filter adapter was leaking.gasket set $19 fix
changed- plugs-distributor-wires-rotors-coils- ( call it a tune up).
PCV valve on port engine never connected to vacuum as the starboard was. Fixed- base plate from donor carb with proper fitting used.

So- engines are mirror images of each other. after tune up engines feel strong and quiet.

now the strange thing.

fuel economy is down 20%. two possibilities.
a- the PCV repair is costing me economy ( why i dont know)
b- developed some growth while effecting repairs.

thoughts?

I quess i could discomment the PCV's and plug and see if fuel usage goes down ( via flow scan type system)

..."developed some growth while effecting repairs."

Bet $$ on it.

Jeff

PS: A few years ago, I had so much green crap on the hull the boat was slow and rough in action. Got so frustrated that I scrapped the whole bottom in shallow water with a 1 1/2 inch putty knife--and we're talking about a 32 footer here! Made an instant improvement.

Last edited:
yeah Prob a safe bet...others in my marina who dont run nearly as often as me are really suffering...like calling in the diver....got to do the math on upcoming trips vs cost of fuel vs cost of short haul.

23 gal an hour now

19 gal an hour before= 4 gal per hour @ $3 a gal is $12 per hour more

short haul is $140- so about 12 hours of run time to break even.

cost of short haul $5.00 x 28 $140

$140 /

In Southern California when the ocean temps rise, growth gets so bad my boat has to get cleaned every three weeks.

will

Ok bottom is not the issue seem to be making the speed now but still burning 23 Gph. Funny thing is I overhauled the port carb and again disabled my PCV system since the replacement carb doesn't have a provision on the base plate. the fuel usage on that motor/carb combination has dropped to 9 gal per hour while the other ( PCV'd) carb/engine combo is burning 13ish Gph. I'm going to plug the PVC on the other motor and see if economy improves on that one.

Last edited:
you can buy a borescope type camera, with LEDs, off email for less than $20 ..... with a long cable.....

I doubt the PCV subsystem is causing an increase in fuel burn....if anything, it should lean it out a bit....

I'd try Jeff's dyno test and make sure both engines are making similar power....if not the carb may warrant another look inside...

Back