Logo

another force 50hp

Gforsberg

Ok so here I go, many many moons ago I got this capri 1985 force 50hp given to me, finally redid the transom, new wood and fiberglass floor (NEVER AGAIN) new seats carpet , remounted engine (it never fired when I got it) it banged and popped some, finally got the fly wheel off and found a mud dobblers nest over the electrical thingy (stator I think) and the points pretty gummed up, also the wobbly bearing that opens the points had a specially shaped key that sheared and had been for some time. just got my part today. did some research looks like the point gap should be .020 an the plug gap .030, maybe 80 foot pounds on the nut for the flywheel, think I figured out how to adjust the timing, been some time (AGES) since I used a T/Light all sounds easy enough. OK what do i really need to know ??

Thanks in advance

I just may need one, fixing to get it in the water and if I use it enough this fall/winter I can justify to myself a new motor. 75 HP 4 stroke is what I am thinking. Thanks been a long week so in the morning I will know if its ready to get wet.

G

4strokes are good but a bit heavier.
Watch the weight restrictions.

Is anyone online that confirm that I am an idiot ?? some wiring has been off for some time. I have plenty of spark on both plugs. marked the fly wheel with marker when the top cly was at TDC, marked the bottom Cly when it was at TDC,,, the spark to the cylinders is backwards. ( would think we want spark at TDC) two questions to please verify.

# 1 red wire goes to start switch as + volts and then goes blue to coils an should be connected to + side of coil. I think I had it backwards. but that should not affect Timing by 180 ? Is blue + at coil?
# 2 White and brown come from stator and points, I must have them backwards. ??

??? the idiot boat mechanic thinks maybe that's correct

OK so I have done all of the above twice now. point gap at .020, plugs at .030. this thing fires right up every time bam it starts, having problem with idle low. engine shaky . if i advance the timing to 3 before it smooth's out some but rpm way to high to shift into gear, if I bring the timing back to 0 or neg 1 it slows down but back to shaky, have tried adjusting the idle screw with both time positions to no avail.. also smoking a lot
mix is 50 to 1

comments

The "idle screw"(front top) is an air /fuel mix screw for running at idle.
Set at 1 and 1/8th out for initial adjustment.

I don't think there is an actual idle screw.
It's controlled by an eccentric roller on the stbd. side of the carb.
The linkage is adjusted to touch the roller and the roller adjusted to increase the rpm.(I think)

Go here (if it shows) and that might help with the linkage and timing.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ler-outboards/616464-carb-and-timing-tutorial

Back