Logo

Simple Question

Yes I could cut a hole in the deck but I will be replacing the metal one with the poly type so what I was thinking of doing was pulling out 10 inches and using a bolt cutter to crunch it and bend it at 90degees and doing that a couple of times until the pickup is out.
The poly on is bendable and would be easy to slide down the hole. Does that sound like a plan ? Computer crash using my iPhone

I thought about leaving the old metal pickup on as well but even if I don't I want to replace the shutoff and all hoses just to be on the safe side. I will talk to the "expert" at my marina and see what he thinks as well. Does anyone know if the pickups circa 1990 have a screen/ sock or were they just cut at an angle like today's replacements?? The pickups I bought but can return have no screens on the ends.... Just an angle cut

Last edited:
Don:
FWIW, we went thru a similar drill eons ago when the ethanol 'blend' first showed up...we had the poly tubes which had a 'strainer button' pressed into the end with a pipe threaded 90 degree fitting on top. The new pickups, from the builder, were just like those installed but 'cut to length'...The originals, as best we could tell, were a bit long as they had a "set" to them....after some mulling, I opted to install the new ones with a slash cut on the bottom, cut so the tube would be real close to the bottom of the tank (tank is V-shaped, to match the hull contour). I also opted to take a punch to the A/S fittings as they were full of 'particles'....

Knock on wood, have only had one issue since and that was a pump failure that was attributed to age....a decade of service is acceptable to me...

I helped on a few others doing this type of repair and of the school that no excess pressure drop opportunities on the suction side is the best approach.....

More food for thought Mark.....thank you. If I am reading this correctly , you punched out the ball... Correct?

Having the background you do, I trust you will understand why it was there and the potential impacts any modifications may have....

Lesson learned.......don't always think the "marine mechanic" knows everything and can fix it.:eek:

Starboard engine ,,,,,,,,,,,,anti-siphon valve was "gummy"

Port engine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anti-siphon valve was "clean as a whistle"

Changed all parts, (((hoses/barbs/on- off selector and eliminated:rolleyes: the 'issue'))) EXCEPT the stainless steel fuel pick up tubes...........ran a wire down one and there is no screen on the bottom, so left them alone...

Engines are winterized, boat on the hard so the actual test will be the 8 hour cruise to destination next year.

Thank all of you for your contributions and I think if I had started HERE first I would not have thrown a lot of $$$$ at the electrical side of the equation until those 'valves' were checked. :cool:

Don,
Just for informations sake, at the start of each season I hook an electric fuel pump onto my tank with nothing else in between. I will pump out 1 gallon of fuel and usually end up with a quart of crud. Remember that ethanol is our friend. Not! That and changing the filters and water separator has work wonders for me.
sludge 2 (640x480).jpg

From what I've seen, that's not ethanol crap (though ethanol loosens up crud like that). The ethanol crap is white, like thinned milk.

Jeff

Attachments

• Gook.JPG
    Gook.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 27
I'll jump in here//////I have talked to many boaters up here, (Canada), and believe it or not ethanol is never discussed as "the curse". I think that is probably because we have a relative short period of 'summer' boating up here and the fact that we can buy non-ethanol fuel from the majority of marinas up here.

As well..... our gas, on the street, is only "up to 10% ethanol". We also have a few Company stations where Premium (non-ethanol), gas can be purchased.

I have no idea of the exact amount of ethanol but did see a circulating email stating that those in power are considering the amount of ethanol to be 15% soon....how true that is...I do not know.

Like many boaters who get together............. the conversation turns to all subjects but no one up here seems to have a " hate on" for ethanol....at this time. :D:eek:

Please bear in mind that my comments are based on pleasure boaters who normally get 5-6 months on the water and then go on "the hard". I have no comments from all year boaters on either coast who may be involved in commercial operations.:confused:

..."no one up here seems to have a " hate on" for ethanol....at this time. "

Uh-huh. Well just wait 'til they run their boats on that 15 % crap--especially if it sat in their tanks all winter!

Jeff

Back