Logo

2001 F80 Issue

Douglas Owen

Hi Everyone,

Just put my Yamaha F80 into the water in June and something happened. It went from full throttle to puttering with a whining noise, then quite. Could not get it started.

Back at the dock we compression tested the cylinders and all came up golden. Got it started but there was an almost grinding noise coming from it.

Out of the water found that when it was in neutral the prop would not turn, like it was still in gear. The lines look good and are moving but something has it stuck. Have not tried to start it since.

Any quick ideas or things to look at?

Doug

Hi Aliboy,

I finally got to the boat and checked the lower unit. Pulled the vent plug and realized that the drain plug was used there with two washers. Removed the drain plug that was not tightened down and there was no lower gear case oil there! Proceeded to fill and the prop did move, but not freely.

Once done, I then tried to turn over the motor. The lever is in neutral, but the prop is turning with the engine, telling me the engine is still in gear (of the gears are not releasing).

I'll drain the oil this weekend and see if there is any gross amount of filings in the oil. Should I pull the lower unit and see if there is a problem with anything? Any idea what I should look for?

Doug

Sounds like your lower unit may have been damaged. When you pull it see if it will shift, if it will not you will need to tear into it or replace the lower unit. The gears could be rusted up or damaged. This is not the easiest task to fix a lower unit correctly, but it can be done if you know your way around this sort of thing.

Back