Logo

HELP mercury 500 thunder bolt 50hp ???!!

I'm not sure on year of motor the serial # is but I'm guessing late 70 I'm curious on how easy parts are to come by? As well as a few issues Im having witb it hard starts and a few other things any help would b great

I'm nt sure I'm nt home to pull it apart right now but if what you sayn i correct would I be foolish to invest in this engine rather then save for a new one. It runs really strong and also has a jet so I was hoping for goood feed back ha

eBay is (hopefully) your friend if you decide to pursue rebuilding a motor of this age or replacing parts. There are NLA parts available, but you will pay a heavy price for them. Flip-side, you can buy used (old) parts claimed to still work on eBay, but be clear on their return policy. Not everyone really tests parts as they should before they sell.

This website will be your best source of used and "unobtainable" parts, along with and info: johnsoldmercurysite.com

That motor is one of Mercs best. They made them for decades, so parts are plentiful.

Jeff

sorry for late reply I appreciate all the input very much so I am not sure what is my issue right now I have no power going to it hoping its maybe the ignition switch but also has some running issues now and then I am new to boat motors so I have a appointment at a shop to have it checked out. I have heared parts are pricy and hard to come buy I don't want to have to repower with a new motor but how far should I get in to this 500 before really looking into a new one? the boat I have is a 86 tracker mv-16 I got the whole set up for 2500 but am working it off from a buddy if the motor is shot how bad did I get ripped off haha?

Back