Logo

kohler 7.5 R27 Circluating Pump

dave med

Hello Everyone,
Well i noticed a little noise in the engine room this weekend. Found circulating pump pulley leaking water. Slop in shaft... took it off motor looks like bearing or seal worn.
I called a Kohler dealer repair guy in Mystic Ct ... he said Good Luck... they don't make a replacement sorry.... not what i wanted to hear. Does anyone know if it can be repaired? FYI its a 1985 and Raw water cooled.
The thing starts right up and runs and runs.... I Hate to think im at the end of the road with this girl.
Please help if you can think of an option or ideas.

Thank you

Dave

probably the pump shaft under the pulley....you can't tell til you remove the pump and disassemble it.

Most every cooling pump used is made by a major pump maker...some are used by many OEMs and a few get 'custom' units made to their specs...either way, if you can find out who made the pump you are likely to be able to get parts....

If that doesn't work out, I'd suggest going to a good hydraulic shop in your area....most have true mechanics and they understand how pumps work...even better they usually have a good selection of seals and bearings and can tell you is the pump is beyond repair..

Thanks for your advice.... since writing my post..i handed over the pump to my brother in-law who can fix anything type of guy from Sweden, he said the same thing. Hopefully we can find the parts like you mentioned.
I will let everyone know how this turns out
Thanks again

Dave

Ok... Pump taken apart today..pump bearings appear to be specific to that pump. its like two in one. just need to find out who made the pump. a kohler mechanic told me... that Kohler made that generator...... not Ford or other company. Oh well maybe someone will shed some light on it. you woukld think Kohler would have information.
Maybe Fast Jeff ?

Last edited:
Its not uncommon for an OEM to 'hide' their sources....helps to keep the market captive for parts....

if the inlaw cant make progress, check with one of the pump houses....there are many retrofit options for popular units..

I took the pump to a bearing shop.... they measured it.....looks like the bearing is an odd ball size.. Yes .. my brother inlaw mentioned a retrofit option. good thing i have a Honda 2000 to get me thru the season.. looks like this is going to take some time.
I did reach out to a company who deals with old motors and generator parts.. there name is Wavetop technology out of NC. Waiting to hear back from them.
Thanks for your help Makomark!

Never heard of them.....but will definitely add that link to the favorites....tnx for sharing and let us know how you make out.

Well...Good News on my Water Circulating pump! With some Luck searching... I found a Guy who rebuilds all types of Kohler pumps and other parts. Turns out hes retired Kohler Tech Rep over 30 years working for Kohler... Name is Ed Wright from Twin Lakes WI. Ed was able to rebuild pump with new shaft, bearings. seals and impeller. He was also able to find a used Housing for me too. It took a few weeks but... I'm back in business.... all this for under $250.00 which included shipping and what not.
Don't let anyone tell you NO MORE PARTS AVAILABLE !! Keep searching and you will find parts to rebuild. If anyone needs his number... just email me and i will get you his number.
Thanks to everyone that helped with this

Dave

Back