Logo

Forum Newbie with a Dumb Question??

VolFan51

Glad to find a forum with good info about Mercury engines.

Recently updated my pontoon from an old 50hp 2 stroke (good riddance) to a new
60hp CT 4 stroke. Getting near the end of the break-in period but had a question.

The engine runs great, but the max rpms my tac is showing, with the throttle forward
as far as it will go, is about 4200??

Seems I read where the 60hp maxes at about 5500-6000 rpms, correct?
Could it be the throttle linkage needs adjusting?
Ie. the boat throttle is not moving the throttle on the engine enough?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The engine is a command thrust engine, so it does have a larger diameter prop to provide more thrust.
Is this what you are referring to yzf?

Don't know the actual pitch, boat is at the lake with the documents.

Here is a pic of the motor, maybe an experienced eye can tell??

0812151515w.jpg

Be careful lugging that motor like that or it'll eat your wallet!

My buddy runs his 9.9 four stroke on his party barge wide open all the time (he's not a motorhead) and it only makes 4,700 rpms. How it's still running beats me!

Jeff

Thanks for the responses!

So, just to get this straight, changing the prop can add 1000 rpms and more life to the engine?

And a pitch of 11, diameter of 14 is probably what I need?

Trial and error is the only true way to get the prop pitch correct but, until you find out what the pitch is on the prop you have I`m just guessing. Rule of thumb is 200 rpm per inch of pitch. The gear ratio in your lower unit also plays a part as well as prop design. Do you have the bigfoot motor and what is the pitch on your prop?

I am not sure, but I will be at the lake this weekend so I will post all the info about the pitch, type of motor, etc.

Well I finally just called Basspro, which is where I bought the motor, and they said from the paperwork the prop is a 14x11
and is the recommended prop for the motor....so, it is either the linkage from cockpit to motor, or a bad tachometer?

Was trying to avoid taking it back to dealer but looks like will need to. :(

Back