Logo

Honda 225 overheat alarm

CaptRobalo

I have twin Honda 225's and recently am having an issue with an overheat alarm, or at least that is my assumption. As soon as the motor is started I am getting the constant on alarm. I shut the motor down and restart it a couple seconds later and there is no alarm and it runs fine for several trips with no issues. It does this every so often. It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is cold or warmed up. Any ideas would be awesome.

Check and see what warning lights are and are not lit when the alarm occurs.

Also...is the alarm solid or a beep beep beep sound?

Your engine could not be overheating when just started up, but could have an issue with that sensor or wiring....or....it could be a low oil pressure alarm.

Your warning lights should steer us in the right direction......or at least in some direction...

Mike

Thanks chawk_man. You were kind enough to send them to me once before. I just found them. I just got back from the boat and when I pulled the code, there was just the solid MIL light, no blinking which according to your notes indicates no code. It has not set off the alarm again since I first posted this. I just hold my breath every time I start the motor.

Well, OK. If you get the alarm again, pull the codes. If you look around on the Internet you can buy the SCS service connector,
Part Number 070PZ-ZY30100 and carry it on your boat. They typically cost about $15.00 or less. It takes the place of the paper clip and makes it real easy to pull codes while on the water.

Okay it did it again. I had previously checked to see if there were any codes after the last time the alarm went off and there weren't any. Today I had been running the boat at idle speed for about 20 minutes. Shut the motors down. When I restarted 5 minutes later got the solid beep as soon as the port motor turned over. No warning lights came on. No lights at all. Shut the motor off and restarted and no alarm ran great. What the heck?

The next time that happens, when you turn the key on, pause a second or two and make sure you get the two-beeps on the alarm system, then crank the engine. If you don't get the two beeps, turn off the ignition, then try again. I suspect that you have a fault in the key switch or possibly an intermittent short in your alarm, since you are not getting any fault codes. Those issues are a bugger to track down and would require a disassembly of the key switch panel.

If you find nothing wrong with wiring or warning system, no green light points to a possible oil pressure issue.

Mike

yes it is possible, low oil pressure ,check the oil level, No Any warning lights and continues beep sound ,mean it is oil warning. their should be green light on all the time if the engine running.

check once,when you switch on SW their should be 2 beep sound and all the lights should come on,( 1 green and 3 red )then all the lights goes off except Bat light once you start engine bat light goes off and green oil light come on and stay until you off engine, if your engine lubrication system fine. of course their can be sensor or wiring problem also.first make sure with warning lights .

wajira

Thanks for the info. Going into the shop tomorrow for an overheating alarm on the starboard motor so will have them check wiring and oil pressure. Yeah what fun.

Back