Logo

97 Eveinrude Vindicator 200 HP HELP!!!

Startitup

Ok, so I am a new boat own that has lots of experience helping people with their boats but never had one of my own. I am handy with tools and learn things fast. I bought an 88 Skeeter with a 97 Evinrude Vindicator 200 hp. Sweet!!!! Took it for a test ride and checked everything I know to check. The thing purred like a kitten and growled like a lion. I was so excited to bring it home! That's when the problems start. I took it out that night and it fired up fine and ran well for the first 20 min or so. Then it started to die at idle and I thought weird and fished for a while and then put it back on the trailer. Next day I try to take a buddy out to show him how awesome my new boat is and it started fine and idled away from the docs fine then when I stepped on the gas it would try for maybe 200 rpm to go and then just bog down. Got worse from there, started to bog down and then die. Then it would no longer start and would just chug like it was getting way too much fuel or air or both. So I put it on the trailer and started to diagnose.

First I pulled the spark plugs and they were all black even though I was told they were new. They were so wet there was no way they were going to fire! So I replaced them and let the motor dry out a bit, put it in the water and cranked it up. There it was the purr of this big motor and then the roar of the test drive, for 5 min. When I took my foot off the accelerator I could hear and feel it starting to bog / flood its self again. Sure enough it did, and it died. I couldn't get it to crank back up so I had to use the trolling motor to get back home.

Then I thought well maybe it is just the gas. I bought a new set of plugs, fowled the others, and tried to start from a 2 gal. gas can with new gas I know is good. Didn't change anything

At this point I am going straight to Google and checking things out that are on the web. One thread said maybe it was a clogged spray nasal on the carburetor or a float out of line or a pin that is stuck. I watched tons of videos on how to fix it and went to work. I removed all the carbs and adjusted the floats, one was out of line, I cleaned the fuel spray ports and put it all back together (used the existing gaskets). Topped it off with new spark plugs and tightened down the hoses in the fuel system with new ties just to make sure that there were no air leaks in the system. As far as I can tell.

I thought for sure it would fire right up. Well it didn't. It did stop the motor from drowning in fuel but now it will not start without pressing my Hot Foot just a little and then it will idle very rough for just a little while and then it will shut down. I am so fed up with it, but I do know my motor much better now. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I have no idea what else to try. Carb rebuild? But it is not flooding as bad anymore. Change out plug wires? Change the choke? Throw away the motor? Just kidding. Please HELP Me!!!

I thought for sure it would fire right up. Well it didn't. It did stop the motor from drowning in fuel but now it will not start without pressing my Hot Foot just a little and then it will idle very rough for just a little while and then it will shut down. I am so fed up with it, but I do know my motor much better now. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I have no idea what else to try. Carb rebuild? But it is not flooding as bad anymore. Change out plug wires? Change the choke? Throw away the motor? Just kidding. Please HELP Me!!!

First check your compression. Then check your spark which should jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester.

I checked compression and it was 150 on 1,3,6 and 125 on the others. I think the gauge was not working right as those numbers are high. I don't have a sparkplug tester iIwill get one and check it. I had a boat repair guy look at it who is a friend and we pulled a carb out and it has spidering around the gasket. So he thinks that is the problem too much air not enough gas. The gurgling was probably air. I will let you know how it goes. I am going to get the kits and rebuild the carbs and see if iIcan't get this thing wet soon.

Last edited:
with extra fluid in the cylinders that helps to seal and can show high numbers.

without the model I'm not able to check, but does this engine have a manual choke for the carbs ?

I know others have a little RED lever that you can set to provide more fuel when cold starting.

also If you have one, put a fuel pressure gauge on a fuel line to the carb if you can..

I'm not sure of the spec here again but I think more than 5lbs of pressure will overcome the needle and seat at the float and flood the engine.

Back