Logo

1985 mercury 35 HP water coming from fuel pump

Andrewdavis98

I have a 1985 mercury 35hp I bought a boat on the cheap and I've been having trouble with the engine. I replaced the fuel lines cleaned the carbarator and changed the spark plugs and fuel filter. The engine had spark and would start on starting fluid it was getting gas and the fuel pump was pushing out fuel, how ever the fuel coming out of the fuel pump had water in it. The engine also isnt spitting out water. Please help ,what is the issue?

Water in the fuel pump means water in the tank. Drain and clean the tank and fuel lines.
No water from the tell-tail- first make sure the tell-tail nozzle and line are clear of obstructions. If the tell-tail is clear, you probably should drop the gear case and service the water pump.

Some of those old Mercs used a water cooled fuel pump--some lame brain thought that would make 'em idle better. You might have a corroded through housing that's letting water through. I suggest buying another housing (eBay-cheap) and blocking off that water cooling nonsense.

Jeff

First off you are spraying raw fuel into the carbs to make it run. I hope its 50-1 in your bottle that you are spraying as pure raw gas will destroy your power head. Second, no water coming out of engine while running, probably needs an impeller, but sometimes the little spigget where the water comes out gets plugged. Try a small wire or compressed air to clean - if still no water then def an impeller. Start there....Good luck.

Back