Logo

Gimble bearing issues

Mojo2530

Hello, I'm very new to boats, and just purchased an 88 bayliner Capri. When I bought it I was told the gimble bearing was bad. I have it removed and the bearing itself seems to be cocked at an angle inside the inner race is this normal? Also there seems to be about 1/8 inch gap between the bottom of the boat and the out drive is is also normal. Thanks in advance

UPDATE:
motor is now out of the boat, out drive is separated from stern, and new problems have popped up!
Engine coupler was bad , and has been replaced. Have new gimble bearing to install when outdrive is reinstalled
transom has ROTT! And motor mounts (front) don't seem to tighten all the way up the actually can pivot about a quarter inch left and right on front holes( which are slotted) but loose lag bolts lets the pivot, and they don't tighten all the way!Thinking that's why it destroyed the engine coupler and and gimble bearing! I can fix that , but I don't know how to fix the transom or motor mount issues. At this point I'm ready to pull my hair out! Need ideas to help me get started in right direction any help would be great , thanks

but I don't know how to fix the transom or motor mount issues

Ayuh,.... Cut out all the rotten wood, 'n glass in new wood,....

Ya need an alignment bar to align the motor to the gimbel bearin',....

The bearin' can not be installed, without the alignment bar,....

Parts purchased; gimble bearing, engine coupler, gasket kit for lower unit,alignment bar, pump impeller

I have cut out the inner finer glass at transom, motor mounts, and stringers from the transom to the mounts. Will be replacing wood and replacing fiber glass. Installing gimble housing and motor , aligning motor to drive , installing lower unit etc, etc....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 22
Tuff love here... but this is what can happen when a boat is purchased without first having a survey performed.
A survey would have found this, and you may not have purchased... or your purchase price may have been reduced.

She's all back together , been in the water three times each time for over an hour and never took any water runs fantastic and my kids love tubing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 17
Back