Logo

Crusader 454 XLI - Close off Exhaust crossover or not??

SMSilvers

I live in Jacksonville, FL and have a 1996 Crusader 454 XLI with a blown out intake manifold gasket. I am trying to decide if I should replace the gasket with a performance gasket that blocks off the exhaust crossover or not. I have read some people warn about difficulty when starting the engine since it takes longer to heat up as well as poorer performance at partial throttle due to less atomization of fuel. Can anyone comment if they believe I would notice a difference in Jacksonville, FL. We do run our boat year round. Close off Exhaust crossover or not??. Thank you.

if the engine has been running okay with the crossover open, why change it??

If you spend any significant time trolling or slow cruising, I'd be inclined to use the stock configuration...

if the engine has been running okay with the crossover open, why change it??

If you spend any significant time trolling or slow cruising, I'd be inclined to use the stock configuration...

Thank you Makomark for your reply.

The engine has been running a bit hot (something I'm working on separately) and when I lifted the intake manifold, there was burned crystalized oil along the track of the crossover. A person with more experience then I that has seen it has recommended that I get a gasket that closes the crossover off.... as well as fixing the running a bit hot issue separately.... likely my risers... new ones due in on Tuesday.

I'm willing to do what he says as he has lots of experience with these engines but I want to fully understand what I'm getting into.

Do you think that that I will notice a difference in performance at cold starts (cold and warm seasons in Jacksonville, FL - typical lows in winter 40 - 50 deg F air temp), low speed (trolling), or wide open throttle? If so, what exactly would that be?

Thank you again for your guidance.

Last edited:
Back