Logo

mercury 50 hp elpto starter issue

judesson

Problem started a week ago , starter would not engage flywheel, battery was weak , boat has been idle since last fall, tried to charge batt and start engine but the starter quit turning all together , switch turned to start and nothing would happen, bought new battery had 12 volts to large red cable at solenoid and had 12 volts to small wire pulled off solenoid when switch engaged and 12 volts to other large post on solenoid. jump across the solenoid and starter would engage. I ordered and installed a new solenoid everything seemed ok outboard did not start , but switch and starter seemed to work fine I cranked a few times and I think I flooded the carbs tried to crank again and the starter would not turn off with the switch I had to pull the neg lead from the battery to stop the starter and now when I try to reconnect the neg lead , the starter starts turning and cranking the engine????

Bad starter?? thanks Judesson

disconnect the small lead to the solenoid...you may have some welded points in it..

I tapped on the solenoid with a screwdriver a few times an reconnected the neg cable and the switch and starter function as they should. Stuck solenoid maybe I wil order another just in case I still cannot get the outboard started, pulling the 3 spark plugs they all have good spark engine doesn't
even try to start some sort of fuel issue ? any ideas ? thanks for the help Judesson

make sure the spark will jump 7/16 inch with a gap tester..available cheap from any auto parts store on on this site...

use new gas....hopefully the gas was run out of the carbs before storing?

Back