Logo

Marine Power USA- BEWARE!!!

chumbucket

This is my first post here but I am not an internet troll. I'm a real person who is trying to make people aware of my unfortunate experiences with this horrible company. If you are thinking of getting an engine from them, do yourself a favor and read my saga below. I wish someone had told me this before I chose them for my repower 2 years ago!

Week of 7/1/13
Brendan (my installer) places an order for a 6.0L Vortec engine with asalesperson named Lee. A 4-6 weekdelivery time was provided.

9/4/13
Brendan calls to find out why the engine has not arrived yet. He istold Lee no longer works there and George informs him that he can find no record of the order. George says theengine can be built and ready to ship in 2 weeks, that they will make this joba priority.

11/19/13
Engine is finally ready for install, 5 months afterorder was placed (instead of 4-6 weeks we were told at outset)

12/2013 to 4/2015
Over this 16 month period engine seemingly is working fine andregularly serviced at recommended intervals.

4/8/15
Engine breaks down 38 miles offshore coming back from fishing trip.Over the next month an ABYC Certified Master Marine Technician eventuallydetermines the engine is shot. On 5/4/15 he states
“We have uncovered more problems, it lookslike your exhaust manifolds and risers either failed, or the gaskets failed ,because once we got that head off, we found more problems in the cylinders onboth sides, and you can see where it has been coming into the intake valves.”

5/4/15

Marine Power brought into loop that engine is shot
5/7/15
Marine Power requests engine be shipped back for analysis
6/8/15
I ask for update. Marine Power states
“Wecan't figure out if the heads were starved or cooling or if the exhaustmanifolds suffered hydrolock and let water in the engine. We are making youanother engine to send back. this should be ready to ship in the next week orso.”
6/30/15
I ask for update. Marine Power replies engine is complete except forone backordered part from vendor
7/17/15
I ask for update that goes unanswered
7/27/15
I make 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] attempt for an update since I had not heard anythingin 10 days. I get this reply

“Swampedis not the word and I apologize for two reasons:
1.Your replacement engine we built for you was put on a truck to Asotin, Wa toour Distributor in the northwest. I know this is not what you want to hear but thiswas done without my knowledge until I went to make a shipping label for it didI get to the whole story. I was hoping to get another 6.0L built fairly quicklybut we were not setup parts-wise. This year has been the busiest we have seenin almost a decade and things like this situation unfortunately arise in theheat of the build season.
2. Ihave an engine slated for you but the components to build it the exact wayyours was setup might not be in stock so we might have to build one in adifferent version like we build our jet setups. Looking at your original Idon't think this will be an issue but hopefully I can wrap it up for shippingnext Thursday. Nobody wants you back out on the water more than I do so I askjust to be patient like you have been and let's hope for the best.”
7/27/15
I ask that a similar engine not be built and that engine slated for mebe redirected from the distributor to me. Get the following reply from MarinePower:
“Thatengine will have those parts, that isn't the issue. The heat exchanger mountingis what I am referring to. The original one I had for you is now at an OEM boatbuilder more than likely already in a boat by now.”
7/27/15
I voice concerns over footprint/dimensions of similar engine and amtold dimensions will be sent tomorrow so I can ensure it will fit in my enginecompartment
8/1/15
Having not received the dimensions or any communication for a week Iprovide Marine Power with the following email:
“Thewarranty saga on my engine has gone on way too long. You were brought into theloop on my catastrophic engine failure May 4th. It took you one month to haveit shipped and analyzed and decide to replace the engine. As June 8th emailbelow indicates, you anticipated my new engine shipping in 1 week. Here I am 2months later and still have no engine or any estimate on when I can expect tohave and engine. I have heard excuses from 'we are really busy' to 'we shippedyour engine to someone else' to 'we don't have the parts'. All areunacceptable. Time for Marine Power to step up and make replacing my engine atop priority or I will make damaging Marine Power my top priority. If Timxxxxxxx of xxxxxx Marine does not have a complete replacement engine bySeptember 1 I will seek legal action. That will be followed by voicing myexperiences with your company on TheHullTruth, Louisiana Sportsman, iBoats, anda couple dozen other sites that are visited by thousands of potential MarinePower customers every day.”
8/3/15
I get the following reply from Marine Power:
“xxxxxxwill give you an update today. Yourhighlighted text below has forced me to get our legal department involved. I have copied Steve xxxxxx on this email. Please have any legal matters go throughhim. I am uncertain of all of the enginedetails but it appears that your engines needed substantial work to evendetermine what was wrong with it and/or why it failed.”
8/9/15
I send the following email:
“It'sbeen a week and I have not heard from anyone. What are your intentions? Replacemy engine? Refund my money? Try to ignore me and hope I go away?”

8/10/15
Get this reply from Marine Power:
“This engine failed due to hydrolock whichis not covered under warranty. This engine had water in the cylinders and waterin the intake along with oil. Since this has dragged out for so long we willreplace your engine providing you purchase a long block for $4200 and we willre-work this with our labor.”

My reply:
“On June 8 you stated that you can't determinethe cause of my engine failure, but are sending me a new engine, which willship in about a week. Roughly six weeks later you tell me my engine got sent tosomeone else by mistake. Now you claim the cause is definitively known and notcovered under warranty?!? I'm absolutely flabbergasted.”

Their reply:
“The replacement engine we had slated foryou for warranty consideration was sent to the North West warehouse.”

Having read through the above, what do you think of the company’s mottostated on their website?

‘Whatever it takes. That sums up MarinePower's commitment to our customers and what we're willing to do to keep yourbusiness’

Back