Logo

Bayliner 2050 Lost reverse drive have only forward motion when selected

bffirl

Looking for some ideas what it might be. Had the boat out last week and it was not driving well. Selected forward drive and it was only running up to 4000 revs and not pulling well, a whizz sound came out of the gearbox (sounded like it ) and the boat stopped in the water, engine still running. I put it into neutral and tried forward again and it moved. Stopped it and put into reverse and it was moving forward set in the reverse position, so somehow NO reverse. Any ideas, could it be cables need adjusting or broken.

Looking for some ideas what it might be. Had the boat out last week and it was not driving well. Selected forward drive and it was only running up to 4000 revs and not pulling well, a whizz sound came out of the gearbox (sounded like it ) and the boat stopped in the water, engine still running. I put it into neutral and tried forward again and it moved. Stopped it and put into reverse and it was moving forward set in the reverse position, so somehow NO reverse. Any ideas, could it be cables need adjusting or broken.
Sorry I should have put more info about the boat.it is my first time on this. 1990. 5 lt Mercruiser with OMC drive.

You should have the "Cobra drive" and from the sound of it either the shift cable has broken or the lower unit went bad.

Back