Logo

bf50 bulb priming direction

Does anyone have an opinion on bulb priming position ? what I know is that the bulb must have the arrow pointing towards the engine , but what about bulb pointing up vertically ? not down or horizontal.

Tim

My opinion is the arrow should be pointing up vertically for best results. You can try for yourself, priming an engine pointing the arrow down vs up. It may not seem much different after fuel is already through the hose, but if the hose is dry and you are starting from scratch, the check balls in the bulb are set to work best vertically up. So...if you are having trouble getting the bulb to get hard, try holding it vertical and unless there is an issue on the motor, it should get hard real fast.

In the ideal world, you should keep the bulb in that vertical position all the time. Most of the time, it can not be accomplished easily. The next best position for running the engine, then, will be laying horizontal, after you squeeze the bulb, holding it vertical.

Try not in any case to let the bulb sit with the arrow pointing down. It is possible for the check balls to not work properly and could actually restrict the flow of fuel.

While we are talking bulbs, the best bulbs on the market, in my opinion, are made by Evinrude/Johnson. I have had customers "save" money, by buying the ones at Walmart. They do not last.

That is my opinion.

Mike

hey Mike,

my experience with my bf50 requires the vertical position to start reliably. it just most anyone I tell this too says they don't and I must have something else wrong . to me the proof is in a full season of good starts when prime is achieved when bulb is vertical . I have looked at a cross section of the bulb and check valves in them , as they are spring loaded the horizontal position should supply gas just as well.

I've noticed my 2006 BF50 hard to start....I also noted, that the arrow on the primer bulb is pointing toward the tank. I bought the
boat and engine a little over a year ago, and it has consistently gotten harder to start....there are hose clamps holding the bulb on the gas line..
why would someone have reversed the bulb?

fuel cannot pass the bulb if it is installed that way. No start / no run. There are check valves on both ends of the bulb. This bulb must have been modified.

My 2007 bf50 had terrible cold starts until " Honda Dude " Mike , suggested pointing bulb vertically . Arrow must point towards engine .

Tim

My opinion is the arrow should be pointing up vertically for best results. You can try for yourself, priming an engine pointing the arrow down vs up. It may not seem much different after fuel is already through the hose, but if the hose is dry and you are starting from scratch, the check balls in the bulb are set to work best vertically up. So...if the primer bulb to wont get hard, try holding it vertical and unless there is an issue on the motor, it should get hard real fast.

In the ideal world, you should keep the bulb in that vertical position all the time. Most of the time, it can not be accomplished easily. The next best position for running the engine, then, will be laying horizontal, after you squeeze the bulb, holding it vertical.

Try not in any case to let the bulb sit with the arrow pointing down. It is possible for the check balls to not work properly and could actually restrict the flow of fuel.

While we are talking bulbs, the best bulbs on the market, in my opinion, are made by Evinrude/Johnson. I have had customers "save" money, by buying the ones at Walmart. They do not last.

That is my opinion.

Mike

Thanks for the helpful response!

Back