Logo

hello from NW Washington State

r/v ESTERO

first wish to introduce myself as the owner of a 30' Monark aluminum hull research vessel named the r/v ESTERO pictured below

15186010489_a3a4e507a6_c.jpg

the boat was used by the USGS at a research lab they have by the Columbia River but was put up for auction last fall by them and I won the bid. Fast forward to today and I am working finally on getting her up and running and have encountered a bump in the road.

the ESTERO is currently powered with twin AQAD40A diesels driving AQ280SP outdrives. I have purchased a pair of AQ290DP drives but have not installed them yet rather focusing on getting both engines started first. In that process, I discovered the starboard engine to be stuck and after pulling the head discovered one cylinder with water and rust in it. My first question for all is in the unsticking. I have tried both penetrating oil and a mixture of acetone and ATF but so far no luck with getting the crank to bar over. I wonder if using a bottle jack to put hydraulic pressure on the piston would be better then a block of wood and a large hammer? Either way I am concerned with cracking a piston crown.

More on the condition of the cylinder and head in my next post.

Back